Silver Oak: The Love-Hate Relationship

I haven’t had one in a long time, but I remarked once in a tasting 20 years ago how delicious these were – and how guilty I felt for liking them.

Haven’t purchased in many years, but being an old guy this was one of the wines I cut my teeth on. And their customer service etc. was always outstanding. My wife and I visited on our anniversary once way back, and when they found out they had someone run out and buy us a little cake. Still have some mags from the late 80’s and 90’s hanging around. And prices are indeed stable. Binny’s here typically has Napa “on sale” for $79.99, and the Alex was just at $47.95 I noticed. Heck, that’s a value wine anymore no?

I bought most vintages from 1984-1995. I stopped mostly because I was no longer buying much US Cab of any type, and the price of the Alexander had gone to $50 on release. I stopped buying Napa after 1992 when I decided I liked the Alexander better.

Silver Oak is often described as spoofed but I don’t think it was ever over-extracted or high in alcohol. The legitimate beef is the oak, but if you like classic oak-aged Rioja or Ridge wines, there is a reasonable chance you would also like Silver Oak.

I still like my old bottles, but I drink them in private with the curtains drawn.

Interesting to see this thread…Talked to someone in MN today and they were at the opening for Total Wine in Rosedale. They were pouring Napa and Alex. I bought some Silver Oak back in the early-mid 90’s and gosh it seems they were about the same price then as what its going for now.

Yep. I have a friend who like wine, but is not a “geek” about it, and collect Silver Oak. He’ll open one on occasion, and I’ve always enjoyed them, for what they are. With some age, they can be quite decent.

When we moved up to the Bay Area, and started exploring wine, Silver Oak was one of the early stops we made, to their release parties, and it was always fun. Stopped doing that after the 96 vintage, but still remember what a nice experience it was back then, particularly up at the Alexander Valley winery.

My wife and I visited Silver Oak by random circumstance on our first visit to Napa, before we knew anything at all about wine. Later I picked up a single bottle I still haven’t opened and now doubt I would enjoy it as my palate has significantly shifted. Still, I did recently grab an older bottle when the chance presented itself. I was shocked at how this bottle performed, especially from the mediocre vintage:

• 1980 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (12/31/2013)
    This bottle had a bottom neck fill and the cork was easily removed with an ah so, showing saturation about one third of the way up the cork. Right upon opening, I picked up aromas of spice box, cigar, cedar, old leather, and black fruits. The body was also intriguing, offering up black currants, tobacco leaf, hints of plum, and faint earth and mushroom-like components. The acidity remains prominent and brings the wine together as a whole, making me want to take another sip before the taste has faded. A truly exceptional bottle of wine. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve mainly drunk them from the 1980’s. A bit oaky with the dill and cocoanut mentioned above, and fairly soft, round and approachable from the extended aging. While they aren’t wines I’d buy for myself, I find them tasty enough and would rather drink them than any number of more highly touted, ripe, extracted, equally oaky, and expensive California Cabs. FWIW, my experience is mainly with the Alexander Valley rather than the Napa, because I preferred it.

I bought a some in the 2000s as gifts for my administrator who enjoyed California wine but wasn’t especially geeky about it. I thought she would enjoy them and she did.

-Al

Carrie and I were Silver Oak groupies and it was Silver Oak that really got us interested in wine. We used to buy all we could out the back door of a couple restaurants and there are still a couple cases in our cellar, from 77 to 97.

Two things happened to us in regards to Silver Oak. Our tastes changed some and when Justin Meyer retired, the wines slowly started to change in profile. To me, the wines have migrated towards the current trend of fruit forward, higher alcohol Cali Cabs. I used to be able to pick out Silver Oak in blind tastings, but not in the last 7 seven years.

• 2005 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/16/2014)
    Aromas of sweet plums and blueberries. Drinking very well. Luscious mouth feel. A little dry at the beginning. Long finish. A little earthy in flavor. Really enjoyed with a thick (almost 2 inches) porterhouse. Also drinking well by itself. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Silver Oak - especially the Napa version - is not a bad wine. It may be a bit too expensive for its quality. I am drinking one right now by itself. I am drinking the 2005 varietal. It may be a bit overpriced.

I must say that I have never been a big fan of Silver Oak. I had this for the first time in 1984 at Auberge de Soleil. It was the Alexander Valley - don’t remember the vintage. My biggest issue with the wine has been the price. The wine would be ok IMHO if it was priced about 1/2 of the current price. For example, a couple of years ago I tasted their wines right after having been to Chateau Montelena. Forget the estate Montelena. I did not think the Silver Oaks were close in quality to the cheaper Montelena Cabernet.

I really enjoyed the Silver Oaks from '85 to '92. As Randy mentioned in a previous post, I think their style changed after '92 when Justin Meyer stopped making the wines. I also heard rumors that Silver Oak lost some of their vineyard souces around that time. A friend of mine had the '91 Alexander Valley and Napa Valley a few weeks ago and said that they were both spectacular.

Thanks,
Ed

Interesting. We had a magnum of the '91 Napa 2 years ago at my sons 21st birthday and it was an oak bomb… SUPER oaky! It wasn’t bad. Most enjoyed it but I must admit, it was totally overshadowed by the '91 Trefethen (at 1/3rd of the price) we had at the same dinner…

I would call it quite good, but not spectacular… And I’m one that enjoyed it the most.

Absolutely!

I still have some early to mid 80’s magnums of those!

My FIL loved Silver Oak and bought piles of it from the 80’s,90’s, into early 2000’s when he passed all his wine came to me and his daughter. While there is a time and a place for this wine, the style has begun to drag on both of us and we have started donating quite a bit of it to charity auctions, which the charities love as it brings in decent bidding because of the name recognition among people that aren’t into wine.

In our opinion the Alexander Valley is the best drinking, along with Bonnie’s vineyard, which I don’t think they make anymore, the Napa is hit or miss. Beware the corks as some of them from the 80’s are iffy and even the early 90’s. When the Silver Oak from his collection is gone, I won’t be buying anymore.

Agreed with Ed and Randy there was a style change and start to increased production in 1992.
Justins health started to go downhill and The wines suffered. Have not had any since the 1997 versions.
Used to love to visit the Geyserville Property where they would buzz you in opening the gates and tasting the lineup for $5 and you got to keep the Glass.
Always seemed to love the Alex more and even as a barrel sample. Have a couple of Bonny’s 1990 and 1991 I should open soon. Sold off all my others.

I know this is bad but I cannot resist. I know Silver Oak is known for going with beef, but is it good with the types of meat that the “donner party” is known for? [smileyvault-ban.gif]

They are a very successful winery with diehard fans for what they make. What’s not to like about that?

[rofl.gif]

Howard,
my wifes family is back in Delaware and were coming this summer
it would be a pleasure to eet you and share some wine (whoops spelling error). [tease.gif]
P.S. The Donners were the ones eaten by the rest of the group.