Sigh. Prices of wine in 1976/now

My first case purchase was shared with my wine merchant… '86 Talbot for $240.

I’m afraid, Todd, that WBers are victims of hyper-inflation as measured by Forbes’ Cost of Living Extremely Well Index:

Coincidently, it was launched in 1976.

If it’s any consolation, the prices of caviar, chateaubriand, flowers, bedsheets, a face-lift, a swimming pool and a tennis court have remained relatively constant.

Thaks, Bob. My best was $0.17 per gallon during a gas price war (remember those?) on Woodward Avenue in Detroit in the early 70’s

Yessir. Thanks.

Sure I remember price wars, but the lowest price I remember is $0.189.

The Hardee’s picture, by the way, is of the very first one. I went to the grand opening. Hamburgers $0.15, cheeseburgers $0.18, hot dogs $0.10, and fries (IIRC) $0.07.

WalMart stock was $.05/share (adjusted for splits) in Feb. 1976. It is now about $74.5O
$100 invested in 1976 would be worth $1,500,000 roughly. WalMart gives dividends also, and costs nothing to store.

P Hickner.

In a some what similar situation. In the mid nineties it was easy to get on and purchase most Ca. Cult wines. Screagle, my first offer I thing for $125, Abreu, $75, Harlan, $75. Etc. Back then I can’t think of anything that topped $150

When i started work i could have bought 82 lafite for around 500 gbp, at the time that was over two months wages. Now i could have bought 2009 lafite futures for around $10,000 dollars, actually less than two months wages. Now of course ive gone from an apprentice to management so the scales are not fair but im sure most of us have done similar, its just a thought on the affordabilty.

I think most things in life are still proportional, the standard of living we enjoy is generally higher nowadays so things cant be that much more expensive in terms of relative spending power

Me too, please. I can’t read a word of that.

I would like a copy of it too. Thanks in advance.

Todd, please send a copy to all 17,988 people who are not posting in the Politics forum.

For all you blind, old [insert now defunct middle finger smilie here]s

I remember being able to put the pump in the tank, wash the windows, check the oil and come back to finish off the $10 purchase. Now $10 barely gets me to the next gas station.