Siduri Wines and Wine Screw Tops

Harvey Steiman at the Wine Spectator took part in a vertical tasting about 5 years back and wrote it up - you could search their database for it.

And IIRC there was a comparative vertical tasting at Pebble Beach Food and Wine a few years back- again, you could search it out.

And Tablas did a horizontal tasting of their 06s last year after 10 years to compare 6 or 8 of their wines under both closures. Go to their blog and you’ll find it.

Cheers.

My producer of Verdicchio di Matelica (Colle Stefano) started using screw caps a few years ago. I drank the same lot of wine bottled under both cork and screw cap with him last year, we both preferred the screw cap version, it was more focussed and somehow livelier. The lack of oxygen transmission variation with caps is a huge benefit, IMO at least as important as avoiding TCA.

Got it, will do!

Hush!

Another plus of screwcaps - if the gendarmes have confiscated your corkscrew or swiss army knife, you can still enjoy your libations without needing a tool.

Screwcap always preferable. Period.

I haven’t noticed a difference between wines under cork and screwcap in terms of quality. Two things I do notice: 1. I have a slight preference for screwcap when reaching for a wine in the cellar. Just because it’s easier…wow, how lazy am I? 2. I have a slight preference for cork when reaching for a wine in the cellar to serve to non-wine geek guests. I usually get over it, but there’s always that momentary concern that they’ll think I’m giving them bad wine…and so I know I’m going to have to explain about how cool screwcap wines are for all the reasons above. The perception is still there.

The few aged screwcap Loring wines I bought last year during a library sale were beautiful. Wish I’d bought more!

I have a very good customer who will not buy wine with a screwcap. He is very knowledgeable, just doesn’t like closures other then cork. Beyond that customer, I find that customers w/o a broad knowledge of wine resist them more often than those who are wine aficionados. I like screw caps. [cheers.gif]

I did an exercise last year with a 10 year old Heathcote shiraz that I have under screw cap and Diam. I opened a bottle of each and took them into my local where several staff and customers proceeded to taste them over 6 or so hours. There wasn’t a lot of consensus. The split was about 50/50
Personally I started off liking the screw cap version which was a little more fruit forward, but after a couple of hours I swapped preferences to the Diam version which seemed better rounded and integrated. The screw cap version seemed at that point, to get a but jangly to my tastes and didn’t gel for a while but later in the evening I felt this had sorted itself out and it was back to being my preferred option.
So it might be a bit of trial and error with decant times to get the best out of a particular wine

Thanks for this, Larry. When my BD14 six-pack from Brian Loring arrived recently I was wondering whether I could lay them down. I kept them standing, not knowing. A couple of weeks later I checked and confirmed they already are throwing some sediment and so I then got to wondering what decanting challenges I would face when I finally open them. Knowing I can lay them down resolves all questions! Again, thank you. :wine_glass: