Shake Shack coming to Seattle: what should I expect?

I think a lot of people must be offended by the shape, or that they have been frozen. I thought they tasted pretty good and the texture (crisp outside and soft inside) was very good. Maybe not the best fast food fries but I would take them any day over Five Guys, and of course the execrable In-N-out fries.

Apparently they tried to replace them at one point and too many people complained.

The standard burger is fairly average, but the Smoke Shack is probably my favorite fast food burger. The addition of bacon and cherry peppers makes all the difference.

The chicken sandwich is solid as far as fast food chicken sandwiches go, but I agree with the earlier comment that Chic-fil-A’s is better.

Well, yeah, clearly. I do this a lot. BUT…sometimes you just want a quick take-out burger. At least, I do.

Had not heard of Uneeda Burger before - next time I’m north of downtown (which happens very rarely these days) I’ll have to check it out. Zippy’s is the hands down best burger in Seattle (IMO) - fries not so much, but that’s not why I go. How does Uneeda stack up to Zippy’s?

Ryan - Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of Zippy’s until your post (and I’ve semi made it a point to eat every burger in Seattle, searching for the great ones.) I will go and check it out. Uneeda is really fantastic - you can go with one of the fancy ones, but I go for their basic with an extra patty, medium rare. Great, great, burger, something like $6. They also have great onion rings, so I only occasionally eat the fries anymore. Scott used to have great bottles of wine - 1/2 bottles of Cote Rotie, Hermitages, etc., - just like at Taylor’s/Gott’s in Napa, but in Seattle no one drank it, in favor of beer, so now he has little wine but about 8-10 taps of craft beer. When you try it, let me know if you think it doesn’t take Zippy’s down. I look forward to trying Zippy’s.

Okay - Uneeda and Zippy’s are now on the list. Thanks, Guys.

I will want to try those two as well. Am I right to say that Red Mill and Lil Woody are not in the running here?

I think that Red Mill, like Dick’s, is a good niche place - it hits that ‘spot’ for their particular burger-taste when you want it (and I go to Red Mill and Dicks’s every so often for that particular taste, which I like). But those burgers, as great burgers, don’t not compare to Uneeda. I went to Lil Woodys on Capitol Hill a few times after they opened - I know they are heralded by some, but I am just not a fan, at all. (Haven’t been back now for 4+ years.) As I think Gallioni used to say “Tasted twice/multiple times with same result”. But de gustibus/YMMV and all that.

Well said. FWIW I also am not a big fan of Lil Woody. Red Mill as you say is fine (I definitely prefer it far more than Dicks). But my experience with Red Mill is that it (and its fries) are better at their location – they don’t travel so well.

I loved the Shake Shack we visited twice in Hollywood. The burgers, chicken sandwich and hot dogs were great. I really liked the fries too. Fantastic service and extreme cleanliness was nice too.

BTW they had half bottles of Tribute to Grace Grenache. Of course we ate in our room and drank wines we bought at K and L.

Al and all my favorite fast food experience ever.

OT: I am actually much more excited about the halal guys coming to Seattle

Mokentosheng?

Years ago I heard great things about Burgerville in Southern Washington and Oregon. We tried one in Kelso and found it pretty mediocre except for the onion rings. There was a Tea Party rally going on outside. [snort.gif]

I was very disappointed when I tried Halal Guys for the first time. Don’t get the hype at all.

+1

Just about every Greek or Middle Eastern place in town has better food and that “white sauce” they’re hyping is pretty much just some variant of ranch dressing…and while ranch is gross enough already, it’s pretty disgusting on top of gyro meat.

The best burger I’ve had in Seattle is at a little hole in the wall across the street from Roosevelt HS called Dan’s Kitchen. They are currently closed until the end of the summer, should reopen when the high schoolers are back in session.

At Zippys, the burger with pastrami on top is very delicious.

No kidding? I live relatively close to that area and have never even noticed it. I’ll have to try it out.

I regret to say that Dan’s Kitchen did not reopen at the end of the summer. They still may do some catering, but you’ll have to look elsewhere for a good burger.

Burgers are good, really good.
Fries bad.
Most frozen custard nicely rounds out the meal.

+1.