Schrader sold to Constellation

Not likely on #1

Their Corona/Modelo market here in the states must be huge !

my f-i-l is with constellation. i know what we will be drinking this thanksgiving and xmas :wink:

Hmmm. Well we shall see. Might free up some cash :wink:

^
[whistle.gif]

Iā€™m updating my thinking, constellation can use chunks of their To Kalon to make Schrader and get better bang for the buck than selling them as Mondavi Reseve.

Also, Mondavi had those great vineyards in Stags Leap, so maybe a Schrader SLD?

The more I think about it, this is a big win for parties.

Also makes me wonder how this might affect Beckstoffer and others that buy his grapes.

At the end of the article it states Constellation owns most of the to kalon vineyard through ownership of Mondavi. Further the winemakers will determine how much Mondavi and Schrader will share. Most likely production of Schrader will increase.

Once they locked up Meiomi and Alice White, you knew this was coming.

Their Corona/Modelo market here in the states must be huge ![/quote]

And a cash cow if there ever was one. Anyone can make better beer, and many companies can distribute efficiently, but the brand name is what drives the mark-up.

P Hickner

How much ?

If they can shift fruit from Mondavi to Schrader and get a much higher price for the finished wine from the same fruit, that makes perfect corporate sense. But Iā€™m sure Constellation is not looking at this a way to lower Schraderā€™s cost of fruit by selling to it at an inside, i.e., below-market, price.

The problem with that is that it would mean that Constellation would not be maximizing the return on the capital invested in its vineyard asset. Public company CFOs pay a lot of attention to returns on capital and they scrutinize subsidies between businesses because it can distort the real profitability of business units and lead to bad investments.

Youā€™re viewing this entirely from the winemakerā€™s perspective. Constellation may just be looking at Schrader as a way to maximize its prior investment in ToKalon.

Iā€™m curious, is anyone aware of a case where a top-flight small winery was acquired by a big company where it was good for the wine? Iā€™m not asking to be pissy. Iā€™m really curious is anyone has examples where itā€™s worked out well for wine lovers.

1 Like

I have not followed up on my neighbor, Eisele Vineyard.
They were purchased by Chateau Latour a few years back - not sure, is that a big winery? Extra twist is the foreign connection. It was Araujo when it was purchased, but now, sanely, the name has returned to Eisele, but I have no idea about the wines.

I look on with a lot of interest in these things. Interesting that Schrader had no vineyard holdings.

Agreed - one wonders where the value is if the 2 points mentioned above are NOT set in stone for eternity.

Constellation may also be ready to start a ToKalon Winery brand, complete with possibly a new winery being built. So many changes are afoot. I think they worry less about the vineyards and see them purely as a means to an endā€¦ maximum revenue in at minimal long term cost. I donā€™t see them paying 175x the bottle price to Beckstoffer. Just donā€™t. But obviously that is just my sense. I have not heard details.

Iā€™m old enough to remember Sterling going into decline when it was bought by Nestle, and Heublein didnā€™t do any favors for BV and Inglenook when it owned them.

Whatā€™s the take on Mondavi under Constellation? Thatā€™s quite a different case because the family had taken the company public and then faced enormous pressure from shareholders, so itā€™s not like that went from being a small, family-held operation into the hands of a big public company. But Iā€™m curious what people think the wines have been like under Constellation. I rarely have them.

the comps arenā€™t exact. but the best example i can think of is livingston moffet into dana. realm may honestly fit this definition as well. they essentially were bought out, and have been doing quite well since.

Wonder if there is any tie-in with the Amazon-Whole Foods buy?

On the same day, no less!

My head spins at the analysis from a financial point of view. I am not that smart, so cannot participate at that level. But there are all kinds of variations on wine producing. Some who have openly expressed no interest in owning vineyards, now do. Wine ventures founded because of ā€œlove for what we do,ā€ have now disappeared. If I ever read again about a ā€œwine made with love,ā€ I will barf.

Every venture is different. I am asked frequently about EMHā€™s situation, and I am candid (as with all things). My home, my vineyard, my occupation, and my avocation are all one. Even the person I am. So I read with interest, but I donā€™t think many of these situations apply to me or to EMH.

Not getting rich here very quickly.

This is an excellent perspective. About LM and Dana. TONS of money thrown into that Dana venture. Havenā€™t looked in for awhile. The land is the land - the experience is the experience. I thought some of the LM wines were excellent.