Schildknecht?

Peter, one can fault the missed deadlines, but I imagine it’s partially his desire to give each wine, producer and region his best effort. His notes/language may be prolix and discursive (to borrow the Schildknecht thesauraus). He’s the most intellectual, knowledgable, dedicated and debatably verbose wine professional I’ve ever met (or expect to meet). The combination of his departure, along with AG, will cause me to terminate my 8 year on-line WA subscription.

RT

[welldone.gif]

I have always enjoyed David’s writing; it would be a shame for him to disappear.

Why should David disappear?
He does a really well writing and he does it in his time.
This may be difficult for some folks who want to be ahead of the game, it does not bother me.
I buy every wine from my fafourite producers every year in and out.
I dont give a fart if Parker, Schildknecht, Gallony, Meadows give 89 or 98. I do my own judgement and I have a lot of fun with my peers. I do not get payed for it, still for the community! Miss it or leave it! - Clos St. Jaques 11 is the strongest wine I ever experiencend in fruit. You can theorize and write a lot of lalalal, Wine is to be shared and to have fun with the participents. Get expirienced... Have no fear - if some wine is definitely good, kill it with your friends. As long as you have it - maybe buy some more to share. Leave it, when it closes down, do some other stuff after that - so much fun to have and share. Dont buy old farts - you will meet them in your cellar too soon. In 10 years you own them—
Either as friends or wine. Old stuff does not run out. It is there.
Relax, because we have a super hobby, normally good friends around us at let the 47 DRC be drunk from and for morons.
Maybe de Villaine had a good bottle of 47 DRC, when I see him I am going to ask him with how many assholes he had to share it with.
Let us get real and have fun.
We visit friends, wineries, discuss and have fun.
Maybe David was not to quick enough for some bargains hunters, maybe Robert Parker has now a Bordeaux taste that doesnt suit you, maybe Meadeow is different from your likes. It does not matter, we are old enough, you starting 21, me 18, lets get dangerous… champagne.gif

Hahaha. I do feel awful that my favorite wine from an Oregon visit was a Cali Cab. Hahaha.

But I was glad to see Tanzer give a huge score to 2012 Bergstrom Bergstrom, which was the best Pinot I had on the trip.

Peter Rosback wrote:Maybe David doesn’t have a pro-consumer timeframe. He’s a very interesting fellow. I like to think he has a life and pursues it, timeliness be damned!
Peter Rosback

Maybe so Peter, and I really like David, but if you took a job making wine and decided wine be damned, you’d rather spend your time doing something else, it wouldn’t really be fair to the people who engaged you, nor to the people who were waiting for, and paid for, your product.

I have no clue whatsoever what made David so slow, and he sure seems to keep busy, but he took a job working for a publication that had deadlines and customers waiting for his prose. I wish him well and hope that his next gig is more in line with his spirit.

His writing is as thorough and informative as anyone’s, perhaps moreso, his notes are all read worthy, regardless of score as you always get a sense for what’s in the bottle.

In a reviewers career timeliness matters, unless you start a publication dedicated to back vintages!

The fellow should write books, they’d be insightful and informative of style, popular and a fine read.

If he had the time and money, David Schildknecht would like to write books on German and Austrian wines. In the meantime, he will continue to review the wines from both countries. I don’t know, however, where he’ll publish his reviews.

I would love to see a book by David on German wines.

By the way, I think (if I recall correctly) that David was selling wines from Oregon when he was in retail from back in the 1980s. So, that is what - 30 years of experience with the wines.

You’ll have to clear space on your bookshelves. How many volumes do you think that would run?

Would love to see him back with Tanzer.