San Francisco, Sept. 27

Bringing a - 2001 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Champeaux Vieille Vigne

By the way, might be a good idea to bring your own glasses as the restaurant does not have very good stemware.

Yes - please bring stemware. I told the restaurant that we are bringing our own.

Bringing a 2000 Bouchard Bonnes Mares.

interested. I have a 00’ Jadot Bonnes Mares, (for contrast?) maybe a Corton and some 00’ champagne (Taittinger Comtes BdB or Bolly Grande Anne if interested/in lieu of 00’ white burg)

Kind regards - gene

That’s only the winemakers. They don’t do any of the work, anyways. champagne.gif

For a slightly more accurate GPS input, address is 400 Dewey Blvd. San Francisco, 94116

Looking forward to this!

With my guest, we’re bringing a 2004 Pierre Peters Chetillons to kick things off, and two 2001 Clos de Beze (Groffier & Faiveley).

Argh! Saw this too late! Chouchou is in my neighborhood, and we would love to bring some burg to share - we just came back from Paris with some goodies. I am new to the forum. Please sign me in next time for a gathering like this. It’d be exciting! newhere

Well, it was great to see everyone and meet some new people. This was a great set of wines - really nice to have such a cross-section of those vintages, and a little Chetillons vertical to boot. My almost un-retouched notes are given below.

My favorites among the Burgundies were the Suchots and the Corton. I’d like to taste that Faiveley again in 30 years too.

2002 Pierre Peters Chetillons: more acid/mineral nose. Dry, warm. Very good in a steely style. Seems young.

2004 Pierre Peters Chetillons: slightly sweeter citrus nose. But of caramel. Warm, full. Good. Feels just a touch less dry. Long.

2000 Marquis D’Angerville Clos Des Ducs: Rich salty savory nose, dust. Dry, but of tannic grip. Just a bit awkward, but smoothed out. Very good.

2001 Fourrier Gevrey Champeaux: Nice iron, warm, savory nose. Plenty of acid. A bit shy.

2001 Arnoux Vosne Romanée Suchots: sinister darker nose. Gunpowder. Great flavor, not heavy but mouth filling. Woodsy. Nice core of fruit. Best of the 1er Crus. Great texture. Needs more time. Really nice later.

2000 Jadot Bonnes Mares: Sweet lush nose, complex fruit, bit of spicy oak. Warm, tasty, savory.

2000 Bouchard Bonnes Mares: Rich slightly toasty nose. Tannic edge, med acid. Pretty oaky.

2000 Chandon de Briailles Corton Clos du Roi: Wow, really nice. Interesting note of citrus peel. Something like the Volnay in aroma but more stuffing. Fine spicy aroma. Quite high acid. Really beautiful. Surprisingly tannic but v cultured.

2001 Groffier Chambertin Clos de Beze: Bit brown. Slight funk in nose. Maybe slightly old/heat damaged. Nice flavor: Round and smooth, lush texture.

2001 Faiveley Chambertin Clos de Beze: Pot/cigarette ash nose. Hard, tannic. Not attractive, harsh. Some nice fruit aromas. 20+ years. This could be really good, but super harsh now. Regal aroma when not swirled.

1989 Lynch Bages: Big walnut, graphite, plummy, cassis nose. Still quite tannic but soft enough. Lush fruit.

This is one of those slightly under-the-radar wines I’ve come to love. I guess it’s not that UtR, it’s not particularly cheap.