San Francisco Offline - July 21 : THEME CHAMPAGNE

Once we hit twelve, I will probably have to start a wait list.

[welldone.gif]

I will bring something from 1996 vintage. Unfortunately not Jacques Selosse :slight_smile:

A friend of mine suggested Yuzu in San Mateo. They have a private room and host regular sake tastings. And based on the pictures in the facebook link below, I assume they are not new to hosting wine tastings as well. I had never been there before.

I need to know if we are doing the 21st by tomorrow as I’d need to book tickets. Looks like we have plenty of interest without me, so no need to accomodate.

I am fine with any date in July. Not traveling.

I cannot speak for everyone here but from experience, it is quite hard to corral the SF wine folks (May OL was a bust). I am 90% sure I can make both dates but the exact date is usually set a week or so before the event as people schedules fluctuate. Don’t know what else to say…

I think the limiting step this time is going to be the restaurant. Whoever can arrange for the restaurant should just pick a day and we’ll get people to come.

Not always Mondays, the other date (29th) is a Tuesday. We usually do Mon. - Wed. as getting a restaurant to accommodate us on Fri.-Sat. is quite difficult, not to mention people usually have other plans during the weekend. No one wants to drink on a Sunday (unless you are not going to work the next day) and Thursday is sort of like the new Friday in terms of how busy restaurants are, so that leaves use Mon. - Wed.

I am with you on bringing champagnes that might not be from the big conglomerates but I also wouldn’t hold back anyone from doing so. I am pretty sure no one here will bring a Veuve Clicquot yellow label, but people can bring champagne from the LVMH house if they want to.

I think it best that I sit this one out as well. Thing is I’m not supposed to eat much raw fish and I think it would be too hard to maneuver around that limitation.

I have a guest coming, so count me as a +1.

urgh I am bummed - have business trip that would put me out for 2 wks… July 16 will be too rushed I suppose. I will next be available Aug 5. May have to skip after all :frowning:

I can’t make it. Enjoy!

I called Yuzu. Their private room is actually in their sister restaurant in Burlingame and they won’t host for BYOB. Yuzu won’t take a party of our size. So those options are out.

Found a place when I google for byob sushi in the bay area - Zen Bistro in Millbrae. I had been there many times and it’s pretty good. They have your typical assortment of sushi / sashimi, as well as some creative rolls. And there is usually a pretty good selection of seasonal stuff.

http://www.zenbistromillbrae.com/menu.htm

They have no problem hosting a party of 12 on a week night (I said monday or tuesday over the next two weeks). $10 - 15 corkage a bottle and you will want to bring your own stems. Since this is not in SF I have not made a reservation.

Paul, do you think we can still get a reservation for Hamano?

I will find out today. I put it in my cal to call them. Been a little crazy on my side, sorry.

Keep us updated then, lets make this happen champagne.gif

Jiro isn’t in today so I have to call back tomorrow. Sorry! Hope to have a confirmation tomorrow.

Just to confirm with everyone, we will have the offline on July 21st, that’s less than 1 week from now. Please confirm now if you are indeed attending as we need a final headcount ASAP.

• J

In plus one.