San Francisco - March 1 - after La Paulee Tasting

Babysitter confirmed. I’ll be there.

Is this the kind of place we should be bringing stemware to?

Great. Stemware: I think it’s always helpful if you can swing it.

Any news from the restaurant?

I confirmed that we can bring more than 2 bottles - and discussed with the manager that we’d have 1+ per person. All good.

Still waiting to hear back on coming with 9 people so Robert can join. Since we’re starting lateish I don’t anticipate a problem.

I’m thinking 1983 Pillot Chassagne Montrachet Clos St. Jean (Rouge) and 2013 Bouchard Meursault Perrieres

Great, btw what will the corkage be?

I’m thinking of bringing a 2002 Thibault Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges.

Hi guys,

After an 18-month hiatus I would love to get back into the world of offline dinners. Will there be seat for one more?

Been fighting Flulike symptoms for the last week and still not feeling my best, so I am going to bow out. Bummed…

Hi Anna – I think there will be room. Please join us!

(probably a white) Rich you know me too well!!

2006 Dublere Corton Charlemagne

…and I also have the flu. So sorry to miss. Really hope to make the next one.

Will someone have a Durand? I forgot to pack mine.

OK I am coming (but did realize I have to jump on a conf call for a bit at 9pm). Will bring 2005 Vincent Girardin Volnay VV

It was wonderful to see everyone! Notes…

WINEBERSERKERS BURGUNDY DINNER - Garcon, San Francisco (3/1/2016)

It’s always a treat to have dinner with this wonderful group. I don’t drink much Burgundy, so this is a treat as well.
White Burgundy
Both were very interesting wines, and both were very different. The Meursault was very young but had huge potential. The Corton-Charlemagne had the reputation and was intellectually interesting, but I don’t think it reminded me of classic high-end white burgundy that I’ve had in the past.

• 2013 Bouchard Père et Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Moderately aromatic nose with minerals, slight buttered popcorn, really opens up with air with some lime, excellent minerality; palate is full bodied, lemon-lime, youthful vibrant medium-plus acidity; medium finish. Youthful but shows promise. 90-91 (90 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine Dublère Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Aromatic nose with an atypical sweetness, burnt caramel, honey; palate is full bodied, slight richness. This is interesting and enjoyable but atypical for top tier white burgundy. 87-89 (87 pts.)

Red Burgundy
My favorite wine of the night was the Jadot Clos St. Denis. Just everything you want in a great red burgundy. The Bachelet pair was an interesting comparison… I maintain that the 1996 had a lot of brett… I couldn’t get past it. The 2005 was much better for my palate.

• 1983 Paul Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Nose is heavily aged, some oxidation, hard to pick up any particular notes; palate is a bit flat, some oxidation, some drying tannins. Past its prime. 80 (80 pts.)
  • 1996 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Corbeaux Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    Funky, some brett; palate has significant brett, medium-plus acid; medium finish. A bit too bretty for me. (85 pts.)
  • 1996 Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru
    Aromatic nose with high complexity, red berries, slight cluster, slight green, slight earth; palate is light bodied, balanced medium acid well integrated, tannins very slightly drying, good red fruit; medium length finish. This is very nice with good complexity, clean, ready to drink now. 92-94 (93 pts.)
  • 2002 Thibault Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
    Aromatic nose with red berry fruit, clean; palate is light bodied, medium youthful tannin, medium-plus to high acidity a bit upfront, lots of fruit to unfurl; medium finish. This still needs a lot of time. 90
    With air this develops more complexity, a bit more subtle spice, very nice. Palate needs time to develop. (90 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Volnay Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay
    Nose is a bit reticent for a volnay, slight spice and red fruit; palate is a well balanced modern style with plenty of red fruit but not overripe; medium finish. This will last a bit longer but it’s drinking well now. 89 (89 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Aromatic nose, high toned red fruit, slight acetone and slight excess alcohol, slight slice, slight red fruit; palate is youthful, red fruit, youthful tannin; medium finish. Very young and this needs time to settle down. 88 (88 pts.)
  • 2009 La Pousse d’Or Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    Youthful, black fruit; excellent texture, medium-plus acid, fresh, good red fruit, quite elegant, youthful; medium finish. This is drinking well now and is very well balanced, though obviously it should age very well. 89 (89 pts.)

Sauternes
I can’t resist ending with a sauternes, and this is one of my favorites. I’ve had the 86 Lafaurie Peyraguey once before, and the combination of my birth year, the richness on the nose, along with the wonderful acidity and freshness on the palate makes this a treat. I unfortunately don’t have any more bottles, unless I track some down.

• 1986 Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Orange-golden color; aromatic nose with wild honey, orange fruit, orange rind, slight saffron; palate is full bodied, intense fruit flavor with fresh orange marmalade, medium-plus to high vibrant acidity throughout the palate, medium alcohol very well integrated; medium finish. This is an exceptionally well drinking sauternes: full bodied and full of fruit while also fresh and possessing vibrant acidity throughout with good complexity throughout. Excellent sauternes, drinking well now and for at least 5-10 years, though no reason to wait… this is at peak. 93. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for all the nice wines. It was good to see all of you and meet some new people. Welcome back Anna!

I have some notes I’ll try to put in. Briefly, I liked the two whites a lot. The CC was a bit weird at first but I thought it firmed up and became more as expected over time. I liked the Th. Liger Belair and the 05 Bachelet quite a bit. Lafaurie-Peyraguey was really good… and I have one.

What happened to the Bulgarian Sparklers? :frowning:

We were so excited about these that we decided that they are so special that we’ll hold them for when you visit San Francisco Mark!

Rich, thanks so much for pulling this together. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and to share some interesting and terrific wines. Clearly I’m going to have to pay more attention in the future. I completely missed the '02 Liger-Belair Nuits St. George…

BTW, here’s the link for the argon cylinders for hacking the Coravin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HO1POS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Sweet!

[worship.gif]