San Francisco - August 26 : Iberian Peninsula Wines

Deleted

Gone

Delete

Leonard sent me a PM and said that he will not be joining this offline.

So Rob, you are now in. [cheers.gif]

cool - thanks!

Hello - I was wondering if a space has opened? If not, it would be good to get on the waiting list.

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to the boards! Right now we do not have an open slot, but to be honest we can probably do something down the road as we are sort of flexible. We rarely do blind tasting though (although I always clamor for it :slight_smile: ). We usually try to stick to a theme and just have a casual time having dinner and drinking some good vino while nerding out on wine. Not really sure if you are looking for a more focused blind tasting group but our group has a lot of fun and good wines to drink. Just post here if you are interested so I can start making arrangements with the restaurant to add another person.

• Joel

I’ll bring the 1982 Bodegas Olarra Añares Reserva Rioja to complement Craig’s bottle.

Joel,

Thank you for the invite and the additional info on the group. The theme dinners sound like an awesome idea and it would be great to attend. It helps that I love Spanish wines, especially Tempranillo’s. I would love to attend and will definitely try to bring something that everyone will enjoy. Just let me know any additional details like preferred years, price range, etc…

2004 Palacios Finca Dofi, Priorat.

Changing my wine to a 1994 Lopez de Heredia “Viña Tondonia” Gran Reserva Rioja as Riojas are usually way better with age. Looks like this is shaping up to be an really great Spanish wine dinner.

Jeremy,

We really aren’t strict in what exact wine to bring unless we specifically agree on a very specific theme. Since the theme in this particular offline is a bit broad, we aren’t really requiring anyone to bring anything more specific than what is shown in the theme. However, in my personal opinion, I usually ask the following questions to myself or take into consideration the following:

1. Is it a wine I find interesting, or something that I think the others will find interesting?
  2. We meet up only once a month, so it sort of a semi-special occasion, hence I try to bring a wine that I personally feel is special enough (this is of course relative). I have enough time during the rest of the month to drink everyday / weekday wines.
  3. As for how old the wine we bring, again that is sort of relative. In some tastings we did before, some people have brought younger wine. However we usually try to bring wine that is in a good stage of it’s life or is in a good drinking window.

Hope this helps.

Good thoughts, Joel. I’d add that I’m super grateful for any wine that others bring to share, and I don’t have any expectations of price or pedigree. If you’re excited to taste it, I’m excited to taste it.

Personally, since I don’t have much experience with Spain, I opted for typicity in the Priorat style. I’m hoping the Palacios will give a benchmark of what an absolutely classic, high-quality Priorat can be (according to Jancis Robinson, it should).

Joel, awesome bottle! I’m pumped! Is that the red or white LdH? If red, then I may bring an additional white, since I’m super curious to try white LdH.

It’s a red.

1962 Unico would be just fine! We can pretend it’s my birthday.

:wink:

Embarking on a trip to Spain and Portugal tonight. Will update the group on what I am bringing after I come back. This cannot be timed any better :slight_smile:

champagne.gif Have great trip, looking forward to what you come back with!

Craig, careful when you pick up your wine from K&L. We’re bringing the same producer/vintage but different bottlings, and they tried to give me the one that you bought instead of the one that I bought. We could have ended up with two of the same wine! Hopefully they don’t do the same with you.

Thanks for the welcome, Joel! I’m excited to meet everyone :slight_smile:. And I just have to say…I love Rioja, so I’m very excited for the list we have going.

Rajiv, you mentioned bringing white rioja–I’m planning on a bottle of white LdH crianza!