San Francisco - April 27 - Whites (ABC)

Reservation made for 8 people at 7:30 PM.

Thanks Ashish.

Guys, I have to bow out of this one. An urgent family matter has surfaced and I will not be in the country on our offline date. Please push through with the offline if you guys wish to, Ashish has already made a reservation and can coordinate the people and offline, its pretty straightforward so I am sure you guys will manage.

Everything is set up, so we should go ahead. I’m the new coordinator, so let me know if you can’t make it, want to bring a friend, etc.

Schedule change here and I can make this one. Possible for me to take Joel’s spot?

Yes, of course. So now we’re back up to 8 and full. Looking forward to seeing everyone this Wednesday!

I know I sounds like a perpetual flake, but something came up and I will have to miss this one. I will try again soon!

OK, we’re down to 7 again.

If you know what you’re planning on bringing, post it to give others ideas.

I’m bringing a German riesling and a 1975 Rivesaltes. I’ve never had a Rivesaltes before and I have no idea whether it will pair with the food, but it will be interesting.

Also, just a friendly reminder to please bring your own glasses! They have some glasses, but they aren’t good and they don’t have enough for our group.

I’m bringing 2010 Huet Haute Lieu Sec.

Thanks for coming out! That was a fabulous dinner.

ANYTHING BUT CHARDONNAY WINEBERSERKERS TASTING - Thai Cottage, SF (4/27/2016)

The wines that I think stood up best to the thai food was the 2001 Alsatian Auxerrois, the 2010 Huet Vouvray sec, and the 2002 Berres riesling Spatlese. Those were also among my favorites for the dinner, with other notable wines being the 1993 Meo Camuzet (amazing nose) and the Kalin Semillon (always an interesting wine to drink). My Rivesaltes was interesting but ultimately disappointing… I would much rather drink a sauternes, a port, or a Madeira.

• 2007 The Council Pinot Noir Grande Cuvée Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands
    Bright yellow; aromatic nose with some earth, saltiness, very unique aromas; palate is rich, almost red fruited with some strawberries, nice mousse, slight tartness, medium-plus acidity; finish is medium length. Very nice, and the aromas and flavors are much closer to a rose champagne. 88-89 (88 pts.)
  • 2000 Kalin Cellars Sémillon - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Livermore Valley
    Golden color; very aromatic nose with pineapple, honey, apricots, musk and funk; palate is full bodied, rich waxy texture, surprisingly nice; medium finish. Very, very nice. 91-92 (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut-Lieu - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray
    White fruit, aromatic, and yet also somewhat reticent on the nose; palate is dry, medium bodied, medium-plus acid, fantastic balance, balanced medium alcohol; medium-long finish. Excellent, and needs a lot of time. 91-92 (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Sandlands Chenin Blanc - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County
    Nose seems a tad hollow, but has some funk and peach; palate is dry, alcohol is a bit too pronounced and the fruit seems hidden or faded; short finish. The balance seems off to me… Not enough fruit. 82 (82 pts.)
  • 2001 Rolly Gassmann Pinot Auxerrois Moenchreben de Rorschwihr - France, Alsace
    Superb aromatics, key lime pie, sweet peach and white fruits, minerals, depth and complexity; off-dry, medium bodied, ripe rounded white fruit; medium-long finish. High end Alsatian, excellent. 90-91 (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Atwater Vineyards Gewürztraminer - USA, New York, Finger Lakes
    Aromatic nose with rose petals, lychee; palate is medium bodied, dry, slight bitterness, low acid, medium-high alcohol; medium finish. Nice. 88 (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Weingut Keller Riesling von der Fels - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Medium aromatics, minerally, lemon-lime; palate is dry, medium-plus acid, Minerally; medium finish. Nice, though I like a bit of RS in my riesling. 88 (88 pts.)
  • 2002 C. H. Berres Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Yellow-green color; aromatic nose with petrol, minerals, slate, lemon-lime, slight underlying peach; palate is light bodied, refreshing medium to medium-plus acidity, some white fruit, fades a bit through the midpalate; finish is short-medium length. The nose>palate, overall not a bad value but nothing exciting on the palate. Drink now. 88-89 (89 pts.)
  • 1993 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Nuits St. Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges
    Nice mature nose with some spice, red fruits, strawberry, almost elegant; palate is light bodied, very slight bitterness, slight red fruit but fading; medium finish. The nose is stellar. 91-92 (91 pts.)
  • 1975 Nouvelle Societe de la Cote Radieuse Rivesaltes Rivesaltes - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Rivesaltes
    500 mL. Orange-copper color, almost tawny; nose is aromatic with some oxidation, almost sherried, raisins, dried berry clusters, slight caramelized sugar, fades with some aeration; palate is somewhat sweet, medium acid, elevated alcohol (14+%), fruit is limited; finish is medium length. This is my first time trying a Rivesaltes, and I’m not sure I like the style. It has excess alcohol without really a reason and it lacks the concentration of fruit and secondary complexity that I expect from a sweet wine, especially with this much age. 82-83 (82 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes, Ashish. I wish I could be so organized! My wine of the night was the '02 Erdener Treppchen you brought, with Tim’s '00 Kalin Semillon close behind. Fun night, nice folks and excellent food. Great to meet everyone.

Fun night, lots of great wine, food and company – thanks!