San Francesco ( JP Morgan ) Tuesday Jan 10

I think we’re going with the ‘no theme’ theme though '02 burg is always good!

I’m bringing a champagne & (probably) a '99 red burg.

I’m going to go out of character and bring wines from the USA.

2009 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine
1994 Havens Syrah (see this thread: CA Syrah Cannot Age, A Waste Of Cellar Space TN: 2006 Wind Gap Wines Syrah Sonoma Coast - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers )

I’m planning on bringing a 1996 Peter Michael Les Pavots. I think I had promised Craig one a while back and can’t remember if I had ever shared one.

I am bringing 1995 Verget Corton Charlie and an Aussie 375 stickie that I brought back from my trip in November.

Cindy , chances are your CC is oxidized… we will see .
I have a Meursault les narvaux 2005 d’Auvenay and a 2002 Savigny from Domaine Leroy .
Looking forward seeing you ( back )

Herwig - will bring a backup just in case! See you tomorrow.

What time do we meet at A Heirloom Cafe? Also, how is the corkage policy for tonight? Flat fee per person? Per bottle?

Changed my mind on what to bring after seeing what Herwig’s bringing.

Will bring 2 bottles -
2000 Leroy Savigny Blanc (yes there’s also chance for it to be oxidized but fun to taste a mini vertical of the same plot)
2004 Quixote Petite Sirah

Corkage: $15/bottle and somehow I have it in my calendar at 6:30pm. Can someone confirm?

If you’re referring to Cindy’s Credit Card that’s true for all of this group. If you could put the dinner on your card they’ll each pay you what they consider fair after the meal.

630, yes. See you all soon.

Another great dinner with Herwig! Nice to see everyone again!

WINEBERSERKERS DINNER WITH HERWIG - Heirloom cafe (1/10/2017)

Another truly remarkable dinner with our visiting guest, Herwig. Again, thanks for all your generosity with your cellar, and we hope we have provided you with good company and enthusiasm. =)

The highlights for me for the night were the 1998 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill (superb champagne), 2005 Domaine d’Auvenay (Lalou Bize-Leroy) Meursault Les Narvaux (unbelievable complexity on the nose, and it competes only with the Coche Dury that Herwig brought last year for best white burgundy I’ve ever tried), and the 1986 Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey (one of my contributions, easily among my favorite mature sauternes, from my birth year no less, and I went out and bought one more bottle after the dinner since this was my last one…). I also brought the Peter Michael Les Pavots, which was showing well tonight but in a somewhat different style than most of the other wines and outclassed by the champagne and the white burgundy above. I think this would have shown very nicely by itself with dinner, and it certainly improved in the hour or two after double decanting.
Champagne

• 1998 Pol Roger Champagne Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill - France, Champagne
    Just an exquisite nose with yeast, apple tart, brioche, rich but elegant; palate is also just a wonderful balance of freshness and elegance with rich texture, mousse, slight oxidation that I love, and excellent depth of flavor and length; long finish. This is superb, lovely to drink. I had the 1998 Dom recently and this blows it out of the water. 97-98 (97 pts.)

Whites

• 2000 Maison Leroy Savigny-lès-Beaune - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune
    Moderately aromatic with waxy honey, slight citrus; palate has slight oxidation (expected for its age), still some residual fruit, medium acidity; short-medium finish. Good and enjoyable. 88 (88 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine d’Auvenay (Lalou Bize-Leroy) Meursault Les Narvaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    The nose is incredibly aromatic with nutty, hazelnut, incredible depth and complexity; palate is full bodied but medium-plus fresh acid, wonderful length and texture, overall balance is perfect; long finish. This has an unbelievable nose, wonderful overall. I can’t believe this is a village wine. 97-99 (98 pts.)
  • 2009 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    The nose is excellently balanced with surprising minerality, brioche, almost like an excellent champagne, plenty of white fruit; palate is full bodied, elegant but also ripe tropical fruit, medium to medium-plus acidity; medium finish. Very nice, balanced, elegant Californian style. I love it. 92-93 (92 pts.)

• 2002 Domaine Leroy Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Narbantons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru
    Lovely perfumed nose with red strawberry, slight spice, nicely stemmy; palate is light to medium bodied but still youthful medium tannins, plenty of red fruit, nice depth; medium finish. Lovely and elegant with excellent balance, even still a bit youthful. 93 (93 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
    Interesting nose but slightly closed, some slight Brett, dense red fruit; palate is medium bodied, rustic tannins, red fruit, dense character, medium acid; medium finish. Very nice, a denser and rustic style than the Leroy, though could use even more time… possibly 5-10 years or more. 90-91 (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Calera Pinot Noir Selleck - USA, California, Central Coast, Mount Harlan
    Moderately aromatic, ripe red fruit, slight spice; palate is light bodied, nice ripe red fruit, medium acidity. Well balanced, Californian styled. 89-90 (89 pts.)

• 1996 Peter Michael Les Pavots - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley
    Juicy black fruit, blackcurrant, nice slight herbal quality; palate is full bodied, slight oxidation, black fruit, tannins well integrated, medium-plus acidity; finish is medium length. Very nice for its style, a blend of new and old world. 93-94
    1-2 hours air: the nose is now classic Bordeaux with plenty of green bell pepper/capsicum, but also nice black currant fruit; palate is riper, more Californian. Lovely, lovely wine and now more in line with my previous bottles. Ready now but has a few years ahead of it. 94-95 (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Quixote Petite Sirah Quixote - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District
    Ripe black fruits, blackberry; palate is full bodied, super-smooth, medium-plus to high alcohol, black fruits; medium finish. Very nice in a very modern style, ready to drink now. 88-89 (89 pts.)
  • 1994 Havens Wine Cellars Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Lovely balanced red fruit, riper fruit sweet spice; palate is medium bodied, plenty of ripe red fruit, medium length through the midpalate; medium finish. Very nice. 89-90 (90 pts.)

• 1994 P. Licht-Bergweiler Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Plenty of petrol, white fruit; palate has medium sweetness, medium fruit that fades through the midpalate, a tad lacking in acidity; short-medium finish. Nice to drink, but lacks unique character. 86 (86 pts.)
  • 1986 Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Just a wonderful nose with honey, spice, wonderful balance, highly aromatic and complex; palate is full bodied but just a unique wonderful balance of density and lightness, freshness, and elegance, medium sweetness, medium-plus acidity, wonderfully fresh, honey, citrus peel and citrus fruit; long finish. Wonderful superb sauternes at early maturity with decades ahead of it. 94-96 (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Ashish , your tasting notes are wonderful and unbeatable . I also fully agree with them .
Thank you Richard for organizing . Hope to see you again next year .

Wonderful evening of wines, companions, and conversations. Herwig - enjoy your flight home to Belgium; I will think about the trip we talked about :slight_smile:

A big thanks to all who attended, it was nice to see all of you again. Special thanks to Herwig for his generosity in sharing such special bottles. The wines were really amazing but I also really enjoyed all the stories and trivia I learned that night from Herwig’s stories.

How was the Heirloom Café for this event? Was the corkage reasonable? Is it easy to organize an offline there or do you need to be in “the know”?

Thanks.

I don’t know about the coordination, but the food was excellent.

Their weather was terrible. I can’t recommend it.