San Diego Meet Up- 8/24 in Del Mar CA

I’m in. Should we have a theme?

I suggest editing the first post and including ALL the details, including the list of folks who are (currently) attending, so you have everything easily accessible

#offlinetraining

Hello Bruce,

Looking forward to meeting you.

I was thinking we could stick with a theme that (hopefully) is near and dear to our hearts- good 'ol Napa Cabernet. If people aren’t interested in that, of course we can open it up.

Perhaps once we settle on the type of wine, we could set a gentle bottle minimum? That way there isn’t a huge disparity in the quality of the wine being brought?

First time arranging a get together like this, so again open to ideas, suggestions, etc.

As the organizer, you get the heaviest pull on theme, so if you want CA Cab, go for it!!

A Napa Cab theme is fine with me! As far a setting a minimum bottle price, that is fine as long as everyone knows ahead of time. I would suggest $50 as not to be too exclusive to first timers and that amount should allow people to be more generous if they want to be. I know most Berserkers are more than generous with their wine! I love older Napa cabs so I will have an early 90’s with me (plus a backup, as always).

My confidence is very high that you, Bruce, will bring a great bottle!

Napa Cabernet it is!

Lets shoot for a $50+ minimum. I plan on bringing a bottle or two in the $200 range, but like Bruce suggested, lets keep it at a lower stated minimum so we don’t discourage anyone from coming…

I have also updated the original post above…

Brian,

I am interested if there is still room. When I saw the thread previously the dates did not work for me so I didn’t chime in. Just noticed the new date of 8/24 and will be in town that week.

Have been to a couple of Berserker events at Sbicca over the years, but I think it has been at least 3 years since the last one. Thanks for putting this together.

Those who haven’t been to Sbicca should be forewarned that parking can be a challenge on a summer evening near the beach for anyone driving.

Hopefully they won’t mind if we open/decant our own bottles. The last time there they offered to decant for me, which I accepted. I was engaged in conversation so didn’t notice they took the bottle away from the table. When it came back, the neck of the decanter was filled with sediment, so it was clear the server had just dumped the bottle upside down. Ouch. I will say that was my only bad experience at Sbicca in multiple visits and overall experience has been pretty good, but have not been in the last two years.

Cheers!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes, there is still room. Looking forward to meeting you.

And yes, parking can be a pain. I will be taking an Uber, but for those who are driving in, there is a parking garage across the street in the Plaza that could work best.

I’m in for 2005 Dunn Napa Valley

Nice, I love older Dunn’s… I visited them a couple years ago and met Randy- a super nice guy…

I was thinking of bringing a 2012 Bond Matriarch. I know its a step up from the stated price point, but what the hell, I want to try it, and Life’s Short…

Babykilling!!

I’ve got a 2001 Mondavi Reserve Cab as well, en magnum, if we feel like consuming on the larger volumes [cheers.gif]

Mag parties are the best parties…

I’ll source something, as Napa Cabs aren’t my forte but I have an open mind/palate.

Drinking pretty good right now. Big and chewy. Could go the distance but who has the patience

Yeah, should be nice nowadays, in mag - still bright fruit, I hope.

If possible I will be bringing a +1. My coworker Dan.

Hey Bruce,

Yes, we do have a couple seats left, so we will see you both in a couple weeks, cheers…

In with a 1982 Beaulieu Georges de Latour. I’ll bring a backup just in case, TBD.

Very nice…