San Diego help

Alan- will check it off the list. I did read the thread on burgers. Not a fan of 5 guys, or smashburger- they’re ok.

Charlie- haven’t heard of that place!!! And duly noted!!!

Jay: Carne Asada Fries

Roberto’s is great and a fun place to eat at, the Del Mar location at least. I didn’t know they had a downtown spot.

El Indio isn’t that bad… it’s a lot better than most of what we can get out here in the midwest. It’s just blown out of the water by competition in San Diego.

I could really go for a California burrito right now. (13 Burrito Styles Everyone Should Know for the uninitiated.)

My favorite Mexican place for lunch is Porkyland in La Jolla. I’ve yet to find equally good al pastor tacos in California. Worlds best name as well :slight_smile:

You could make a day of it in La Jolla – Porkyland for lunch and then you could hit up one of the fancy restaurants on Prospect for dinner like Charlie mentioned. Views are tough to beat.

La Jolla’s not too far from downtown – 15 or 20 minutes.

Scott

Ha! Well, as a college student, I did eat a LOT of chicken burritos there. Cheap and very filling. But I haven’t been back in probably 30 years. Can’t say what it’s like now, but back then it was edible, though not memorable. Still, it’s a landmark in the area. Sometimes it’s not just the food, it’s the scene, ya know? :wink:

BTW, they renovated the old SD police headquarters, next to Seaport Village. Couple of new restaurants in there, including a somewhat “upscale” Mexican place that’s not bad.

I have Sushi Ito and George’s Ocean Terrace lined up- thanks! I get in late friday afternoon and I think we will hit Neighborhood for a bite-pretty sure I will be starving. Will check out a couple of the Mex places mentioned - but not El Indio neener .

I am packing one of those 24oz Flannery strips to have Saturday night at my daughters, a couple bottles will be in my luggage! Then we hit Coronado.

Just in case- wine shops in SD???

Charlie- I know its your fave- we will be headed up to the OC mid week - having dinner at Playground…I love salt… [wow.gif]

Thanks for the reccos.

Jay

“Roberto’s is great and a fun place to eat at, the Del Mar location at least. I didn’t know they had a downtown spot.”

i lived in del mar in 1987. roberto’s was an almost daily stop for carne asada burritos. seem to recall it was a little further north, like solana, but it was a loooong time ago for sure.

hehe

wine shops.

San Diego Wine Company and Vintage Wines are right next to each other off Miramar. They are the best priced wines in your “area”. Definitely stop there. It’s about 15 minutes north of the airport, but I think it’s a good place to stop by.

Haven’t lived in SD for a long time, and I still crave Quatros Milpas. The tortillas. The chorizo con huevos.

If you are interested in dessert, go to Extraordinary Desserts.

The Wine Bank, in the Gaslamp, used to be a good wine store.

I thought I’d post here since folks seems to have thoroughly answered the OP’s question. I’m staying in Carlsbad the first week of April and looking for dinner options: probably one night out just my wife and me, with the kids (3 & 5) otherwise. My wife doesn’t eat sushi, and we’ve got our share of good Mexican in Chicago. Our hotel suggested PAON, Vigiluccis, Cucina Enoteca. Thoughts on these? Better suggestions? Thanks.

In Carlsbad, Paon is solid. About 15 minutes south you have Market in Solana Beach or Addison in DelMar.

I thought Vigiluccis was only ok.

We liked a place called Union. Sort of an upscale taproom. Mediocre mixed drinks but very good food. It’s in Encinitas.

We took our kids to Blue Ribbon Pizza – also in Encinitas. I thought it was solid but my folks who live there swear it’s not as good as it used to be :slight_smile:

I was there last week and went to Fish 101 which is sort of a super low key locals place in Leucadia. Great fresh fish stuff. Not sushi. Definitely taking the kids next time.

My wife and I ate alone at the Pacific Coast Grill in Cardiff. Food was good but man the view was outrageously awesome.

Scott

Ryan, check out Solace in Encinitas, farm-to-table.

As for kids, go to the Bressi Ranch version of Pizza Port. Local beer, interesting pizzas, some video games. Did I mention local beer?

Howard

Thanks guys.

Howard: local beer is VERY important. Societe and Alpine are my Legoland. Cheers.

I’d 2nd Market and Addison for fine dining. Pizza port is nice for beer but I think their pizza is horrible…stone brewery is only about 10 miles away from where you are staying too. Societe isn’t that close to Carlsbad but it might be worth it to visit. Green flash is not too far from societe either.

If you’re craving beer, Lost Abbey is relatively close to Carlsbad and Cucina Enoteca is supposed to be very good. It’s the same people that are behind Cucina Urbana near downtown San Diego and that place is quite tasty. That said you can’t beet Market or Addison.

Juniper and Ivy is the hottest new restaurant in town

I also l endorse Cucina Enoteca which is downtown (and has been described in some other threads on WB)

Hoping to hear reports from all of the visitors to our lovely corner of the planet. No extra charge for the shakes from the quake up north.

Sushi Ota tonight :slight_smile:

Ok I’ll post some notes later, but we had the omakase menu, fantastic. Might be in the top 3 sushi ever!!

100 a person worth every penny !!