Sabbatical From Wine - 3 Weeks

A worthy replacement!

I think this has far more to do with your listlessness in exercising than your wine consumption. Conversely, I don’t believe the abstinence of alcohol is solely attributable to your weight loss but rather the abstinence in combination with the exercise. Alcohol alone in moderation cannot make you overweight nor can abstinence of moderate alcohol intake suddenly make you lithe and healthy.

I don’t agree entirely with this formula. It’s all about moderation and balance. I love my sleep and read that drinking alcohol effs up your body’s sleep patterns and controls. This was particularly concerning as I hate waking up in the middle of the night to use the washroom and ruining a good night’s sleep.

So I changed out my 2 glasses of wine a night plus a 1/2 oz of spirit when I felt like it to a glass of iced team, a soft drink and plain old water to see how things went. Absolutely no change in sleep patterns whatsoever. Then I finally decided to go back to the wine since it didn’t seem to make a darn bit of difference. Except that now I only drink 1 glass plus a 1/2 oz of spirit when I felt like it. Guess what? No more waking up in the middle of the night. I suspect that this is more because I am taking in less liquid overall each night than less alcohol. I’ve experimented with drinking only two 1 oz servings of spirits a night and same deal, no problem.

I’m not saying a sabbatical from al-keel-haul is useless. Far from it. Of course it’s a good idea to give the liver a break from doing all that detox work. But to say that alcohol is the reason a person has gained weight in isolation of other factors is wrong – it’s their overall lifestyle that determines the quality of their health.

My buddy goes dry from New Years to Saint Patrick’s Day every year, about 20 in a row now.

He’s really fun on New Years Eve and SPD champagne.gif

Good luck, Barry.

I’m finishing up my Sober October tomorrow. It hasn’t been too hard, but I’m looking forward to a nice bottle of Burg on Saturday!

Alcohol gives me the ‘munchies’, bottom-line. ‘Munchies’ = calories.

Thanks, Brady. The first 2 days have been a cakewalk. Uh-oh, cake has calories.

aint that the truth. I can eat enough for a small family when drinking.

So far, 2 weeks down.

For me, the first couple of days were the toughest as I had to change my nightly ‘program’.

It is liberating knowing that alcohol doesn’t control me as much as ‘the wine experience’ does.

Physically, I do feel better; clearer thinking, more focus

I may even go longer than 3 weeks. [cheers.gif]

Good going!
Agree…its the munchies that kill your waistline more than anything. At least I experience the same.
Be well.

Dain

I do two weeks in a row off every six. No big deal.

November off for me. Running the oldest trail run in the US - the Quad Dipsea at the end of November.

At start of year I had maybe 20 bottles of wine in the house and training for a marathon. I’m now 200+ bottles, 15lbs heavier. Meh…

But I’m doing 3 weeks. [snort.gif]

I did two months during a medical rehabilitation last fall. Surprisingly easy I must say, and a fine test of willpower.

The Dao PaPe the first night back tasted particularly good…

That’s serious stuff! About 28 miles and 10k elevation again right?