Rye

Was about to ask how Rittenhouse compares to Templeton. Templeton right now is my go-to “whiskey” of the moment. Not as smooth and round as bourbon, but I like the spice note it impairs. Also is a better mixer than bourbon for flavoring, yet stands well on its on.

Another good rye is from Koval Distillery. They are local here in Chicago. Their Lion’s Pride line is very good from top to bottom. They like to use less familiar grains to make whiskey. I REALLY like their regular oat.

http://www.lionspridewhiskey.com/

I don’t drink a lot of whisky but I like rye. One I like is Ri made by Jim Beam. Don’t know if that is the same as Rl others did not like above, but I like it. Around $40.

I remember when I was a kid my uncle had a bar and we would go to help clean on Sundays. I was fascinated by this bottle of rye, it was called rocks and rye. It was rye whisky with really what looked likes rocks or rock salt in the bottom of the bottle. I wonder if they still make that?

I think it was rock sugar

My B.I.L. bought me a bottle of [rI]1 – it is taking a while to get here.

And on KY Derby day, I was at a house where there was a bottle of Black Maple Hill Bourbon.

That was good enough that I know I have to try the rye some day!

I like Templeton Rye a lot. The only issue is that it is 80 proof vs the Rittenhouse 100. When mixing, the end result can be just too diluted especially if the ice isn’t right. I liked Manhattans made with TR, but in side-by-side they clearly did not show as well as the Rittenhouse.

Could I tinker w/ the recipe and make it right? Probably. Templeton is just too scarce for me to do so though.

A.

My bottle of (rI)1 arrived yesterday and I tried a bit with an ice cube. The best rye I have tasted but I realized that’s a little like saying it’s the best graham cracker I have tasted, it’s not something I am going to rush out and buy a case of. What impressed me more was when I made myself an Old Fashioned. Dangerously delicious…

Had Black Maple 23 this weekend. Wonderful stuff, but to my mind the rye spice has faded behind the barrel.

Also had Pikesville Supreme which is a Maryland style rye in a Manhattan. On the playing field with its price peers like Overholt, it runs rings around them.

A.

I went to a tasting a couple years ago, and tried several pricey and old ryes. I didn’t think any of them were that good for sipping. I think rye is best for making cocktails. Towards that end, I haven’t found a compelling reason to use anything except Rittenhouse 100. Lots of different bitters and herbal liquers keeps it interesting.

I tried the Bulleit 95 the other day in a Sazerac… it worked great and I think is a really good addition to the Rye scene. I haven’t seen it on the shelves yet, so not sure where the pricing falls

Not sure if this should go here or under cocktails… but just tried the High West “36th Vote” Barreled Manhattan. Interesting stuff for sure, good quality, and glad I was able to try it to see what a few months of mellowing in the barrel (2yo rye barrels) does to a Manhattan, but not likely to replace the joy of making my own Manhattan’s at home and being able to play with different ryes/bourbons/vermouths…

Cool. Didn’t know HW was doing a real throwback and bottling aged cocktails.

I have a barrel of Manhattan aging in the cellar.

A.

Grabbed a bottle of Willett’s 3-year Single Barrel Rye for $33 on a flyer. Anyone tried it?

No love for Michters?

Anyone had Whistle Pig? I picked up a few bottles but they haven’t arrived yet.

I like WhistlePig, but it seems pricy for what you get. Better than Templeton, IMHO, but not 2x’s. If I could find it, for the price, I’d get the Sazerac 18. That is head & shoulders the best rye I’ve had all year.

It’s pretty good whiskey but too expensive and a bit misleading. The word “Vermont” appears three times on the front label, but this is actually Canadian whiskey they purchased, imported and bottled in Vermont.

standing up for the pig – where ever it’s really from. i like it a lot. different from rittenhouse 100, for which there probably is a case to be made that it’s a smoother sipping whisky, although much sweeter than whistle pig in my estimation.

How’s the Handy Rye? I saw a couple at the liquor store this weekend. The proof seems super high

I really like it - spicy, cinnamon (not as good at these notes). I threw a cube in mine, as the proof is a bit daunting. Made a killer Manhattan. I’m a buyer at $70.

The Sazerac 18yr is the best rye I’ve tasted. Super stuff.