Rome, Naples, Sicily restaurant suggestions

Bill, I’d personally be interested in your top 3 price is no object and top 3 overall best in Rome. Am going to be there in may for two quick nights. Last time we were there (5 yrs ago) we went to suppore del mare (likely butchered the spelling) and it was great food, great ambience and I don’t recall price being too absurd.

+1

The challenge of Rome is that the mediocre tourist traps look the same as the good restaurants.

My favorite is outside of the very center of Rome, maybe a 10 minute cab ride - Da Felice a Testaccio - a genuine Roman pasta feast. Unbelievably good Fettuccine Caccio e Pepe.

La Vecchia Locanda - short walk, near the Piazza Argentina – beautiful modern mid price restaurant with very solid price list.

Il Pagliaccio - michelin 2 star - if you want to spend up and go super formal, this place is amazing. Sick wine list.

For a real visual great, the cafe (food ok but good ice cream) at the top of the Museum of the Palatine Hill has amazing views of all of Rome.

If you stay near the Piazza Navona, get coffee at Sant’ Eustachio Cafe - huge personality and great coffee. In fact go there even if you aren’t staying in the area. It’s just behind the Pantheon.

I can give more recommendations … Rome is food heaven.

By the way: I imagine you know about the tradition of chocolate production in Modica.
Do reserve time to visit Bonaiuto: http://www.bonajuto.it/en/
My personal advice: go there when you are at least a little hungry so that you can taste a bit around.
And do eat one (or two, if you can) of their cannoli. I loved the one with pistachio filling, it was almost a transcendental experience…

Very helpful info, and I thank all of you for it.

Definitely intend to do a little chocolate sampling in Modica.

I have added these to my Yelp Bookmarks I will be in Rome from April 8-15th. (I have 41 bookmarks!!!)
The top one looks stellar for my agenda. I am looking for 1 awesome recco for my birthday dinner on the 10th. Il Paglioacco may fit the bill. Another thought is the wine and food dinner at Roscioli. that looks like fun and my daughter should love it. Just today I weigh 10 pounds lighter than when I started on January 7th. My goal is 10 more before I go, and it will be useful—very useful.
thanks!

La Pergola at the Rome Cavalieri.

hear Heinz Beck is doing some amazing things here. Staying tonight and trying to get in!

I would add Antico Arco. Worth a taxi ride. There are some good cherries to pick from their list if you take the time to wade through it.
http://www.anticoarco.it/eng/dinner.html

Don’t forget gelato. Gelateria del Teatro is my new favorite.

The restaurant across the street is also a god choice.
http://www.ristorantesangallo.com

I was there last summer. Amazing place, amazing views, amazing food. The wine list is HUGE! The sommeliers do an excellent job making recommendations.

I had the best pasta dish I have ever had there (x 10) .

I booked months in advance

Also went to Roscioli which was recommended earlier in this thread and was wonderful also.

George