Rivers Marie Fall 2014

I didn’t take notes when we visited last month, but my wife and I both loved it.

The new chard is a very good QPR, and the 2012 Napa cab is excellent. It’ll be hard to make choices next Tuesday, as the options are all good.

Will,
Any reviews from Galloni, Spectator or Tanzer for the wines in the upcoming offer?
Thanks,
Steve

My email has numbers in brackets in front of each wine. Is that the allocation?

yep

I still haven’t opened a SVD cab, so was wondering how much better are these over the Napa cab? Are the allocations guaranteed?

I think Panek is absurdly good, from any vintage. However that was at $75. $90 gives me pause.

I don’t see any mention of tax being included? Also don’t think it ever was. But shipping is and was free.

Yep, the price is no longer a no-brainer and I’m thinking this money may be better spent at a particular SCM location.

I’ve been buying these from the beginning, but only a handful each year. While not unexpected, the increases kinda move them out of the strong value category for me. I won’t go anywhere near the full two case allocation , but I’ll still pick up a few.

pointless post - deleted

Bingo!
Thanks Will.

18-20% price increase. Wow. What used to be the best QPR in Napa Cab just got less so.

Looks like other Paneks (e.g. Rudius) are comparably priced with some even much higher. If not $90 on these cabs, what would be comparable or better in that price range?

exactly what i’m thinking.

Not much. Relative to his peers, these have probably been priced below market for a while. The Panek easily competes in the 100+ space, not that I want to see it go there.

At <=$75, I’m now down to two - Drinkward and Hayfork.

Still, RM is one mailer I still get excited about seeing in the in box. The evolution of the cab and chard programs keep things interesting - can’t wait to try them all!

Can these make it to a 21st bday? I mean, obviously they can, but will they be lovely and delicious or will they taste like dirty water?

I’d be interested in people’s thoughts on this, too. I originally had a magnum in mind, which would’ve made me feel better about getting to that age, but with the price increases and budget constraints, I may need to stick to 750’s.

I am hoping to go with a couple of Napas and one or two Paneks. I need to split my money between these and Myriad though. I love Myriad and this is my first cab release with RM so I am unsure of how I will compare the two.

as far as longevity of the wines, that’s all speculation because R-M is still a relatively new venture…I have put away some magnums for birth years in the 03-07 range but have settled on producers and regions that have a longer track record of making wines for the long haul

old world is the obvious answer, but in CA I think Ridge Monte Bello is a safe bet in magnum most vintages…Heitz Marthas, Dunn Howell Mtn also qualify IMO…there are others of course…I would stay away from high octane wines in general

Are these guaranteed allocations? or fc-fs?

if guaranteed, when is it guaranteed until?