Rioja experts: does any producer make wines similar to LdH?

For one thing variety. I like LdH but would like to try other traditional producers. Who knows, maybe I’ll like another more. Some of these suggestions are quite a bit cheaper as well, so for daily drinkers and whatnot it would be good to have them as alternatives. LdH isn’t priced too badly, and for the age some might say they are great values still, but they have gone up. Also the Cubillo always strikes me as just okay, so the low end of their range isn’t that appealing.

That’s exactly why I recommended the Montecillo. Nearly half the price and not half the quality.

Thanks Paul, added to my list!

BTW, Rare Wine Co. is offering the 2009 Peciña Rioja Gran Reserva for $31/btl if you buy six. Or they were. Seemed like a good buy.

(I also picked up 1994 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva and Riojanas Monte Real Reserva because, well, I have no willpower)

I suggest as others have, try La Rioja Alta, CVNE, Federico Paternina and Muga. Contrary to other suggestions, you do not have to limit it to Gran Reservas. Reservas and Crianzas can been really good and great QPRs.

Just picking this thread back up to say I just downed my final mag of 2006 Bodegas Hermanos Peciña Rioja Crianza that I bought from Rare Wine Co, and damn that was one of the best values I’ve bought over the past several years. Perfectly balanced Rioja that feels a bit older than it is (in a good way) - though I’m guessing it’s at its peak right about now.

Glad to hear it. Mine arrive tomorrow!

I bought some of the 2011 based on this thread. It seems very nice, but I buried my remaining bottles for a few years. I’m thinking revisit in two or three years.

I thought the 2011 was a noticeable step down from the 2010. I thought it just didn’t quite have the stuffing and the oak was more out of balance than the 2010. I’ll have to try the 2012.

Yeah, you know me.

I quietly cheer every time I see backlash against RLdH wines online. Agree with all of them. The reds are volatile, the whites are oxidized, and what is up with those old, faded roses? Hope to see more. Let’s keep those prices down!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I almost never see any mention of the producer Carlos Serres here, but I’m enjoying a 2018 Carlos Serres ‘blanco’ [Rioja] as I wrap up another WFH day. It’s in a clear bottle, with a screwtop and is good QPR, being made with purchased grapes near their main estate. It’s not from the Onomastica holdings. Mostly viura, with a bit of tempranillo blanc, that they found a mutation of some 30-40 years ago. But the wine is quite nice on a 100F+ day, showing a lemony light bodied zestiness, and a fine layer of citrus fruit. It might be a technical, mass produced wine…but its a proper one. I generally don’t care for Spanish whites, but after reading Luis Guitterez’s book, decided to give them another try, even if it’s only wading into the low dollar end of the pool. But I would repurchase this one, even if its more like a zippy Loire SB, as I don’t have any preconceptions of what ‘viura’ should be like.

And if ever saw that Onomastico blanco (mentioned above) I might give that shot too.

I bought 6 bottles of Carlos Serres and it has delivered. Forget how I was turned onto it but it was great. Going to seek out the others listed on this thread now. I have a ton of LRA, Muga, Murrieta, so need to branch out a bit…

Arv, Another producer of traditional white Rioja to look out for is Honorio Rubio - their Lias Finas crianza is crisp, richly textured and wonderfully aromatic. I am still trying to wrap my head around their flagship Añadas bottling, which is aged solera style, complex and sherry-esque, but carries a powerful American oak signature. Am trying to hold on to the bottles for at least another 5 years to see if the oak integrates better. K&L sells it.

Thanks for that comment on the Honario Rubio “Anadas” but I’m not sure I can deal with sherry like blancs…

I’m drinking an 07 Pecina ‘Reserva’ [Rioja] the last two days. 13.5% abv, and a cool/lean character to this with a balsalmic nose. It’s pleasant, and maybe a touch better as it warms up, but this was a middling vintage for Rioja and it’s not getting any better. Personally I prefer this estate over Lopez de Heredia, and would not consider them comparable, although both are on the traditional, red berry side. Color is on the ruby side here. In my ledger: a B but trending down.

Pecina is a producer who impresses … but not so much so to buy in off vintages. Not a Rioja, but one of the few estates I might do that would be Charvin’s CdR/CNDP, when fair enough.

I went in on 3btls of 2010 la antigua reserva to mix up the rotation. So I’m looking forward to try them and report back.
I’d be first to admit that I like a bit of variety and keeping with ldh, lra and pecina can get tiresome. Always nice to recalibrate the palate.

And for what it’s worth Gilman rated it highly too.

I finally threw back a 2010 Izadi ‘Reserva’ [Rioja] with a friend tonight while we meddled around the grill, poking and prodding a chicken in a salty smoky Spanish paprika rub. To be honest, I don’t find it like a traditional / acetic / LdH kind of Rioja at all. It’s dark, international, and for me, not Riojan at all. It’s a good wine to be sure, and suited for a hot afternoon around a grill, but I won’t reload even though 2014 and 2016 are available locally for modest prices. The label has a black triangle on it, which I suppose means something regarding the vineyards (being in a trio shape?), but is otherwise unappealing. This European Cellars import was purchased on release, and kept properly. I guess its a B, with more technical quality than regional character.

I would concur that the 2010 CVA ‘La Antigua Clasico’ Reserva [Rioja] is in the LdH style camp, but for my tastes, is actually preferable since its technically sound. 13.5% abv, medium bodied, with a bouquet of rhubarb, celery and then raspberries on the palate. There is still some oak apparent on the nose, and there is some citrus zest adding a bright line here. This is a newer producer, which has gotten some strong retailer endorsements. (I went through my inbox searching on ‘Antigua’ and was surprised to find a half dozen emails discussing them in depth) Even though this is from the Rioja Alta region, its a garnacha driven blend, which is unusual. The vineyards are old - mostly 1940s to 1950’s plantings - and they are high up, leading to a harvest that takes place in November (very late for dry reds). This bottling could actually be sold as Gran Reserva, if the apropos fees were paid to the regulador, but is only presented as a Reserva, despite two years in metal then six years in wood barrels . Bottom line - this is a fine example of a brighter, lighter style of Rioja and it should age well, given it kept well over three days. The only aspect I thought it lacked was the very fine silky texture older Rioja can display. Perhaps that will come with more time in bottle, or maybe the garnacha dominant cepage might preclude that from ever happening. I’ll be keeping an eye out for offers on this going forward; it’s an A- to an A on my scorecard.

Under my doctrine of pairing items of the same language with each other, the Rioja went well with Carnitas, especially if one can trill their 'r’s.

1 Like