Rhys to grow Carricante?

So am I reading correctly that the Aeris label will produce wines from both California and Sicily?

Just when I feel like I’m starting to find my way around wine, something like this pops up. I haven’t even heard of this grape! Count me interested, if for the passion of the project alone.

Sounds like a great project, Kevin!

Gulfi makes a “carjcante” that impressed me in the early 2000s. I see that Astor here in NY has that for $22.

Sadly, the 2003 I bought several bottles of had major premox problems. (I know some retailers complained.) I hope they’ve fixed that. It had enough acid that it seemed like it should age.

John, those wines are also made by Salvo Foti, who propagated his Milo plant material down near Ragusa. It’s the only Carricante in Sicily that isn’t on Etna, at least as far as I know. It is warmer down there, so the style isn’t exactly the same as the wines made on Etna.

Interesting. Thanks, Jeff.

Based on the following from Kevin’s post above the answer is yes. “Also as part of Aeris, we are making a 100% Carricante from the small area of Etna designated Etna Bianco Superiore. This area is located on the eastern slope of the Etna volcano around the town of Milo. Our initial wines are made from old vines grown by the mayor of the town and we have planted (in partnership with Salvo Foti) more acreage located in this prime spot for Carricante. This wine will also will be sold as part of our Aeris project in a couple of years.”

Care to give us a hint in what region?

To add to that a bit, using the old Winkler measure Milo runs about 3000 GDDs compared to Ragusa’s 5000. The Gulfi Carricante is a great example of the broad range of the grape. While not at the level of Carricante from Milo, the Ragusa version is still quite a good white and remarkable given the extraordinarily warm climate.

John,
Carricante (like many/most) Italian varieties needs a cooler day and warmer night than is common in California. The best place to find this is at elevation (>2000 ft) in California’s Coastal range and in order to be warm enough it needs to be >15 miles from the ocean.

Perhaps somewhere like this John!
Vineyard2.jpg

That will make for great publicity photos for the new winery.

Some of the early Gulfi Carricante wines had too little SO2, which would explain the oxidation.

In what I assume is one of those random events in life, one of the flash wine sites (2011 Vivera Etna Bianco Salisire « Cinderella Wine - Ridiculously low prices for up to 24 hours only.) has Vivera Etna Bianco Salisire 2011, which they are claiming is 100% Carricante, and is less than $20.

Any comments? Worth trying to see what the grape tastes like, or not?

Just curious.

Dave

I bit on 3 of these ^ - spent a week on the island recently and loved this grape while there.

Dave,
The Vivero is a reasonable if not jaw dropping example, IMO.

Yeah, the Vivera wines are made in a new and very modern facility and the wines are very clean and stylish. I’m not sure they have the character and complexity of the Etna Bianca Superiore wines, as the vineyards are located further north and lower in altitude than Milo towards the town of Linguaglossa. They are a bargain though.

Thanks for the geek chart Kevin! I didn’t realize that the climate of 700m Etna was THAT close to Barolo. In any case, I can’t wait to find out where you choose to plant the Carricante.

Btw, has anyone tried the 2011 Pietra Marina? I’m debating popping one because of this thread, but perhaps I should let it sit for awhile longer?

Anthony,
I love many other vintages but the 2011 is my least favorite Pietramarina.

Any thoughts about other Italian grapes that should be planted in California as part of the Aeris project? Will they all have a partner vineyard in the old country?

Larry

Good question! I’ve been enjoying a couple of Timorasso wines lately. Perhaps not the ageworthiness or complexity that Kevin seeks, but really tasty and enjoyable wines.