Restaurants- Columbus OH

haven’t made it there yet… opened a few months ago. apparently lines were a bit prohibitive for a while.

Nick,
We went later on a Sunday night and there was still a good crowd. We had an excellent server named Charlie, who really knew his way around the menu and was really knowledgeable about the Columbus dining scene in general. It is worth seeking out.
Would you be available for an offline next week?
Cheers,
Alston

i might, depending on when. shoot me a PM with particulars

I have a birthday dinner coming up in November and was wondering how accurate this list still is. Any new places that have opened up since then that are worth checking out? Don’t need anything too fancy, but some place that executes well.

any idea what neighborhood you’re going to be in? short north is the “hot” district with a bunch of places like the pearl, that are more casual and loud, beer and cocktails, etc. good if you want to do a cocktail at one place (mouton is a cool little spot for drinks and snacks), dinner somewhere, then a nightcap at jeni’s or a beer at bodega or something.

don’t look for good wine prices, not worth it.

refectory and l’antibes for french-inspired
alana’s (north campus), deepwood (short north), lindey’s (german village) and g michaels (german village) for “modern american” type fare
rigsby’s or basi italia (short north) for italian
kihachi (NW suburbs) traditional japanese

was checking some lists to see if there’s anything new that i haven’t hit yet. Veritas made one magazine’s #1 of 2013, which is surprising to me as i haven’t heard too much buzz, but i need to check it out i guess?

still wondering why commonwealth closed up shop so quickly. place was great, and seemed perfect for columbus’s vibe.

and another +1 for barcelona in german village. a bit inconsistent at times, but when it’s on it’s on.

No idea yet. I live about 80 miles from Columbus and my gf is flying into town, so I will book a hotel in the near future. Any recommendations on where to stay? Late 20s/early 30s. There is a Buckeyes game that weekend, fwiw.

Money isn’t a concern, but Refectory looks pretty expensive. Is it worth it? Right now Alana’s, Basi, and Kihachi are at the top of my list.

Check out Tucci’s menu, they’re located in Dublin and the food is consistently good. If wine isn’t that important and you’re in the mood, Kihachi can be very interesting.

Alana’s is the best for wine. Food can be inconsistent. I like basi a lot as well

Bob

if you want to be in the middle of it all, i’d stay in the short north. there’s a brand new hilton that’s very nice according to clients who have stayed there.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on Akai Hana?

It’s a mainstay in our rotation. A solid choice for a variety of Asian cuisine and consistently excellent service.

Money isn’t a concern, but Refectory looks pretty expensive. Is it worth it? Right now Alana’s, Basi, and Kihachi are at the top of my list.[/quote]
if you want to be in the middle of it all, i’d stay in the short north. there’s a brand new hilton that’s very nice according to clients who have stayed there.[/quote]

Thanks![/quote]

I’ve had two really good meals at The Gallerie Bar and Bistro in the “new” Hilton and it also has a very comfortable bar area - that is our go-to end of the evening drink. I’m still a big Alana’s fan. The Table has been good on a few recent visits. The Rossi can also be fun on a weekend.

i’d be there a ton if i lived in that neighborhood. very good, but i wouldn’t call it a destination for out of towners.

Hey guys will be in Columbus for the first time for Rutgers/OSU this weekend and figured I’d piggyback the thread. Staying on edge of Victorian District and Short North. Think we may try Basi Italia Friday night. Wanted to know if there are any places with particularly good BTG list and or cocktails for after dinner. Also how packed are places after OSU games? If we don’t have a reservation for Saturday will we be able to find a spot if we’re just looking for very casual post-game eats?

It’s a 3:30 kick, so with the game wrapping by 7, I would not plan on getting in anywhere without a wait. If anything, the nicer places (rather than casual) would probably be easier to get into I’d think.

For dinner after the game much depends on whether tOSU wins or loses. It’s crazy, but if they win, people are out and about. If they lose, places are empty(ier). I’d check open table or call and get a reservation just to be on the safe side. Another option for something better than very casual post-game eats is to get a reservation at Alana’s, park there and walk to the game and back for dinner.

In most places, IMO the BTG lists are pretty weak in the Short North area - Rigsby’s is probably one of the better bets and The Rossi has some decent choices as well as cocktails (the former will be quieter, the latter quite loud).

Thanks for the help. Rutgers is a 19 point dog so I’m guessing town will be lively.

Right now they’re a 40 point dog. The Rossi is best for cocktails and the food is a bit unpredictable but last night the rabbit was killer. Veal demiglace, root vegetables, cherries. $22.