recs for knife sharpening gear?

While not really “in vogue” anymore, I’m still a huge fan of GlassStones. I do 1K and 4K glassstones, followed by 8K naninwa snow white. I have a 500K glassstone, but I don’t like it much - I wish I had the beston 500 instead. As for flattening, atoma works well, but there are a few more options out there previously mentioned.

Spyderco Sharpmaker is cheap and works well for me.

Sharing?..
[wink.gif]
Straight Razor Designs

I have been a wet wash cloth man for the most part when holding my stones – that’s just how I learned. Before I had a good stone bridge, I sanded down a two-by-four really well and draped that with a wet wash cloth to keep my stones in place when sharpening. Even after getting Jon’s sink bridge from JKI, I used a wet wash cloth most of the times, but on occasion I have tried my rubber stone holder. I usually forget to use it these days, but I have used it.

Another great sharpening supply is something no one will have on this forum: a wine cork. I prefer sparkling wine corks because it seems made for the hand, but they are great for deburring your blade edge. After each set of stones, I deburr by running my edge through a cork (or rock had felt block). This removes that weak steel that makes your edge frail.

At the end of the day, sharpening is simply about drawing a burr through a progression of abrasives (i.e., stones) and removing that burr so you have a nice sturdy, sharp edge left to cut food.

k.

Edit: Of course, Jon Broida always says it better than I can.

The modular strop most of the way down the page.

Thanks!