Recommendation for 1 bottle of Burgundy < $500

For next time then, it’s tempting to ignore your 2nd post, Zack [grin.gif] and say “2001 Leflaive Chevy Montrachet. That is all”

But I won’t. :wink: Suggestions for future or others interested? Maybe if you can source a Cecile Tremblay Vosne 1er or Echezeaux from 09 or 10 or even 05 if back that far?

Both your choices sound great. And yes, Taupenot-Merme makes a half barrel or so each year of the Lambrays—CdL has been trying to get Romain to part with it for years. The 1999 version was my WOTY a few years ago, it was absolutely sublime.

Sante,

Mike

Mike

Christiane is great but as a $450+ wine it is just silly. I am actually glad it is $600+ now because then I don’t even have to think about it - at $400 maybe I’d buy some and then just feel crappy about spending so much. The whole point of the wine was that you were getting something like a Vosne-Romanee grand cru without paying Richebourg or RSV (much less La Tache) prices. At $600, screw it, just get some Richebourg. And like I said before, for what it is, it has plenty of cheaper competitors in the 1er cru space too - Dujac Malconsorts, various Gaudichots. Sounds like a pretty good theme for a blind tasting actually.

Gerhard has posted some killer tastings here including one just like this and one about Chambertin v. Beze. Both really, really helpful just to read.

But opening more than two bottles at any one event, regardless of the number of attendees, is a gluttonous waste and destroys what wine is all about and the person who does it doesn’t deserve to drink wine. Wine is meant to be contemplated, only over dinner, only one bottle at a time, not actually consumed. You cannot compare two wines to each other. You cannot rate wine as if it were a skirted lawyer strolling past your construction site. Wine is subjective. The idea that wine change is caused by human activity is a myth. Etc.

Anyway a good way to buy things like Christiane, Morin, Morrissio, Rodin, is as part of a mixed lot at auction.