Quiet Beach in August -- advice

Banff Canada?
It’s close to the US.
Tons of outdoor activities.
Excellent wine and food options.
Golf too.
You can go luxury or go camp, or anything in between.

We stayed at Hidden Ridge Resort couple summers ago.
Low key, huge outdoor hot tub for end of days after hiking.
Insane scenery.

All great suggestions. Jules and I are having a great time looking at options.

Hawaii is pretty crowded in August.

Aruba (as well as Bonaire and Curaçao) are the lowest risk of hurricane compared to the rest of the Carribean due to how far south they are.

Bonaire is awesome for diving.

I’m addicted to the Loews resort on Coronado which is very family friendly (yet agreeable for those of use whose kids are long grown) - way out on Coronado so very quiet, but they run a shuttle into town all the time so you can go shop or dine and you could do SD Zoo etc if that appeals. The hotel has an immense patio facing the water and San Diego … perfect place for drinks and food and relaxing. Gorgeous rooms but not fussy. They have their own beach a 2 minute walk from the hotel on the ocean side … amazing as well - plus three pools, tennis, etc. I am not normally a resort person but somehow they make a stay so comfortably relaxed. The photos on the website look a bit frillier than the reality which is more kick off your shoes and curl up with a cocktail by the firepit. A colleague who went there with me during a work trip layover is now planning to bring her family from the UK for a week’s holiday there.

If you consider the Carib, consider Jakes in Treasure Beach Jamaica … nothing to do but nothing wonderfully, funny cottages, great people, great rum …

I second Rosemary Beach and the surrounding areas.

St Croix-great beaches, very reasonable and excellent cuisine.

I’m wondering about storms in the Caribbean that time of the year.

August is definitely Hurricane season. Not as bad as Sept and October but certainly a risk. You can try to go south to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao as they are very rarely hit. The weather during hurricane season is either hot and calm or stormy. Buy trip insurance if you go. I am heading to Barbados in June. It is a great island.

B.

We’ve been going there for 20 years. We’ve had one storm that threatened to be a tropical storm and just became a very rainy day. I guess fatalists would say that means we’re due a cat 5!

Check temperatures in August for the Caribbean - it can be so very hot and sticky!

We are leaning outer banks, but FL panhandle in the running.

If you want to talk OBX, let me know.

South Ponte Vedra Beach, FL is wonderful. I live in Jacksonville (10 min away) yet I still rent a house for a week every year. The beach is very quite yet you are a 15 minute drive to either TPC (if you golf) and St Augustine (oldest city in the US). Super location and reasonably priced.

Just in case it will affect your decision either way (!!), we’ll be in Rosemary beach again last week in July and first week of August.

Rosemary beach is nice but the traffic can be horrendous at that time of year.

That’s weird as we’ve never experienced any traffic issues there! Of course, if you head over to Destin then that’s a whole different issue.

I dunno…what are you bringing to drink?

[snort.gif]

Not sure you’ll like watching me drink…

PS some great wine shops within easy reach of Rosemary beach so tend not to bring stuff from London with me.

We love hilton head, especially sea pines area. Beaches are wide and you can ride your bikes on them Great restaurants and golf

Chris,
You may want to check out Delray Beach FL.
If you’re into dining with a nice beach not a bad place
Quiet in the summer, snowbirds are back up north.
Check it out, PM if interested