Question about insuring a wine shipment

Hi guys,
I am so sorry about this!!! We will make this right for sure. When there is ever an issue with anything from Wine Library, rest assured we will go above and beyond to fix it. Period.
Just wanted to post here as we 100000% want to make sure we always hold when clients ask and on top of that - hold all shipments when it is too hot to ship. Year after year, there always seems to be a few cases that are an issue and we will always 100% replace the wine. Please, please, if there is ever an issue, let me know at brandon@winelibrary.com.
Often times in July and August we make changes to internal systems, staffing, etc (as a good way to test new procedures for September - December). During this time, there are sometimes issues that come up. When issues do come up like this … we will always make good on it. Many items I can replace right away. The Juge makes my heart sink as that will be much more difficult but we will do whatever it takes to make it right.

I don’t post on here often, but I can assure you - any issues that come up with Wine Library, please e-mail me at brandon@winelibrary.com and I will go above and beyond to fix any issue. Again - I should check this forum more and post but I am always available via email for fast response time.

I can’t apologize enough all! But we will help any client that has an issue and not only make up for the wine - but the time you spent dealing with the issue!

Brandon
brandon@winelibrary.com

Brandon, thanks for reaching out but more than the issue of “making things right” the overriding concern on the thread is what you guys are doing with the cooked wine when it comes back to WL?

Just jumping back in to the thread here. My shipment was for a bunch of mags and 750mls of Juge.

This was from a few years back before Juge exploded, and I told Ian these wines are not replaceable, and that I didn’t care about the money, because it was more like they had ruined a piece of art. I was so pissed, but Ian did send me some personal bottles of his (that I was charged for, but ok with). I refused to return the order, and was not refunded my money for the wines being shipped in 100 plus heat, because I wanted my dead bottles jic they may have something left. Still upsets me that there was that oversight with something close to irreplaceable in my mind.

So funny that Wine Library is the perpetrator for so many of these…and mostly Juge!!!

Will no longer be a customer of WL moving forward.

Hi All,

@ATaylor - Any bottle that is returned is always put into breakage and recorded as damaged goods.

@TBurklow - I totally understand the frustration and will be sharing it with our full team. In a situation like you had, replacement bottles are just not that easy to come by so in many cases, we have to work closer with the supplier to try and find those bottles but because of our long term business with many of these suppliers and the amount of volume we do with so many other goods, we are able to resolve just about every situation. At times it doesn’t come right away but may take a few weeks or months. Bottom line - our job is to resolve it and make the customer thrilled with the end result.

As I mentioned before, I am traveling and away for the next couple of weeks but plan to meet with our team when I get back to get an update on our new system logistics. During the summer and winter months there have been isolated incidents like this in the past, but very rarely do I see a bunch in a row like this. I have a feeling I know why some of these packages shipped and plugged that hole yesterday but will do a closer inspection when I get back.

As I said in an earlier post - my email is brandon@winelibrary.com. I am not on these boards much but am always on e-mail, even when traveling as I am now.

Not just for now … but in the future, please reach out to me with all things Wine Library and I will work with you to resolve any issue that may come up!

Brandon
brandon@winelibrary.com

Isn’t that what wine insurance is for for them? You shouldn’t have to return the bottles. Otherwise what’s the point of insurance? If they ship it in a heat wave and the wines are damaged, even if you don’t have insurance, they’ll replace or refund it if you ship it back.

It’s just so maddening that it’s juge that’s getting destroyed in the heat.

p.s. don’t serve me no 2012 juge i’m watching you ;p

Generally with “collectibles” in the insurance realm you do NOT get to keep the item if a claim is paid out. For instance if you have a piece of art or sculpture insured and you claim damage, and the policy pays out, they will take the item (to sometimes be used in their lobby or whatever).

If you get to keep the item it creates too much moral hazard to submit a claim… “hey i got paid, plus i kept the item!”

I asked what benefit the insurance gave, and they said I didn’t have to cover return shipping! I would hope I wouldn’t have to cover it anyway in this situation.

Hmm, if this was indeed Juge, or another equally rare and hard to find wine, I’d be tempted to keep it and drink it on an earlier time horizon. Just because it warmed up enough to seep doesn’t mean that it is completely cooked or trashed.

Wonder if the retailer would cut a deal with you, and let you keep the bottles.

My point is that if the wine was damaged on the transit over, the retailer would cover it regardless or you buying insurance or not. So what’s the point of insurance?

What is the point of the insurance? Suppose the shipper lost the wine, or breaks some bottles? Who covers it? Apparently, when you opt for the insurance you’re usually just telling WL you’re willing to pay for them to opt in for the shipper’s (usually FedEx or UPS) insurance.

What is shipping insurance, and what happens to my order if it is lost or damaged in transit, and I declined the insurance?

By selecting shipping insurance, you as a customer are protected in full should your shipment be damaged or lost during the shipping process. We use FedEx and UPS as our primary shippers, and as a customer of FedEx and UPS, we are required to select or decline the insurance for each outbound package. As a result, we must extend this option to our customers to then accept or decline the shipping insurance. Should you the customer decide to decline the insurance of your shipment, you are assuming the risk of any unforeseen difficulties during the shipping process including: broken or damaged bottles, or damage caused by excessive hot/cold temperatures. Please note that if there is a problem such as the ones listed, we are not responsible to replace the wine or refund you if insurance is not requested by the customer

-Al

But if they break in transit any reputable shop will replace it. So once again, what’s the point of insurance? Other than to defray the potential loss to the shop

I took my chances with the Juge and held on to them. Ian did what he could and sold me a couple bottles from a previous year. Still didn’t get the refund as I would have had to return everything and you can’t ship Juge back once received. It is the 11th Commandment.

I will be serving one to Fu in November, and we shall test then.

Sounds a little like karma for cornering the market neener

Ha. That wasn’t me that cornered the market, Alan.

It was the evil little fella that sits on my shoulder and tells me to do bad things!

Well, if you want to diversify and spread your risk around a bit, you let us know…

I may be willing to part with some 2011s after we do the tasting in Nov… pileon