Post your Unpopular Food Opinion

Sean Brock and his restaurants are wildly overrated. I have eaten at every version.

Thin bacon is better.

Except that Heinz makes the absolute best ketchup…

[wink.gif]

I like it thick or thin, but the best bacon I ever had was a thin oven cooked slice at Chez Panisse. It came garnished with a roasted quail.

Cuban sandwiches…meh.

Quality is a function of price. Cheap restaurants can be delicious - but delicious cheap restaurants could nearly always be improved by charging a lot more money.

Italian cuisine is great in trattorias but does not reach anywhere near the same heights as French, Spanish, and Japanese cuisine and perhaps others too.

Vegas is not a good food city. New Orleans and Charleston are good but overrated.

I don’t understand the attraction to Trader Joe’s.

Funny. Thats my main usage… in place of ketchup.

New Orleans food is not that good. It’s greasy and overrated.
Chewy bacon sucks. It must be crispy.
The best Pepperidge Farm cookie is the double chocolate Milano.
Jamon Iberico de bellota is better than prosciutto.
Kraft Parmesan cheese in a can is disgusting.

Agreed that the overall food scene in New Orleans is overrated. And a lot of the big names/classics are complete crap that have been trading on name/reputation for some time. That said, with just even a bit of digging, there’s some really fantastic stuff to be found.

While other cities have a famous dish or dishes, New Orleans has an indigenous cuisine. It’s based primarily on Creole dishes that have been around a very long time. Emeril made his bones at Commanders Palace which is not only one of the best restaurants in N.O., but also atypical in that while they maintain many of the traditional dishes, they often improve them. That is something Emeril continued to do when setting out on his own. When an area has its own food, there often is resistance to including and incorporating the cuisines of other places. That was true in N.O. for a long time but the situation has improved significantly over the last couple of decades. There are a lot more restaurants serving ethnic foods than ever before. But sometimes public demand will be sufficiently strong that a restaurant will increasingly transition from a place serving Nothern Italian to more Creole Italian-Sicilian food. The same can happen with a legit French restaurant that winds up being French Creole. One of the great things about dining in N.O. is that it is possible to eat well at all price points. A plate of red beans and rice with sausage or a roast beef po-boy can be a very delicious and satisfying meal. And the availability of abundant, fresh seafood at affordable prices is matched by very few other places in the country.

Sarah you over 40?

This is an opinion thread, so I’m not trying to make you like it, but I will suggest the Sriracha is at least unique as compared the ocean of vinegar based hot sauces out there (and yes I realize it’s also vinegar based). The texture and less aggressive heat make it much more versatile than many others. I add it to a lot of acidic/savory foods in small quantities and think it really gives things a je ne sais quoi with minimal heat - I’ve used it in braising liquids, hummus, tomato based sauces, etc. I don’t think that would work nearly as well with Tabasco.

Which of these is the unpopular?

OK my turn:

Regional food specialization doesn’t exist/is wildly overstated. NY Pizza, Texas Brisket, KC/STL Ribs, Chicago Dogs, LA tacos, SF sourdough. This isn’t to say these foods aren’t good (they’re great) but excellent versions of them exist worldwide.

Exception would be where proximity provides a demonstrably difference: Maine lobster, PacNW seafood, but even then, airplanes can get it to the Midwest pretty quickly.

Also: White flour produces the best bread. Perhaps not the healthiest bread, but the best tasting.

Yup.

It’s the Heinz Ketchup of hot sauce.

Matt, why are you going out of your way to prolong an unpleasant exchange from a separate thread? This post is just gratuitous nastiness.

Read the HiFi thread.

A) I replied to several posts simultaneously in the other thread, with the only possible “insult” there being that I called ALL the posts “pedantic”. For reasons known only to you, you’ve decided this is a personal insult. This couldn’t be further from the truth, but this is also the internet, and I take nothing on it all that seriousily. So I harbor no ill will, but also didn’t pay it much mind.

B) You posted here that you think most things are better SV’d. This post, of course, is in opposition to that notion (at least nominally; Mitch’s entire post was more of an abstract rant about perceived ills and was rather light and vague on any sort of unpopular opinions). I am trying to gin up a conversation, but admittedly it was inelegant.

Yo bro, Sarah actually posted that most things aren’t better SV’d:

Well, first of all, I didn’t say that, just as Alex pointed out. I’ve posted many times on this board that I dislike the texture of SV meat. I guess it makes a little more sense if you misread my post that way. I am sure you can find someone who does actually hold the opinion you want to argue against, though.

I didn’t in fact think I was the only butt of your derogatory term. The word “pedantic” was directed against the writers themselves, their tone and method of expression, not the substance of their opinion - thus personal, though not, you are correct, individual. I regret that my word choice didn’t function exactly as I inteded it.

That aside, associating me both personally and individually by name with a description meant to evoke a very obnoxious and objectionable group of people (to Mitch anyway), did seem pretty nasty.

Really going out on a limb there, eh?