Post IPNC 2002 Oregon Pinot Noir Throwdown! Bjornson Vineyard, Eola-Hills July 28th

Rick Allen might be able to oblige. :wink:

Tom & Kate Monroe are bringing charcuterie

Mike,
I can drive, and I will be heading back to Heater Allen if anyone is interested in trying some beer.

I’ll bring a few cheeses.

Outstanding! Looking forward to another great tasting!

RT

I will give thought about what to bring. Requests?

Any Seattleites interested in car pooling?

P Hickner

By the way, for anyone attending IPNC this year, we are the sole beer provider for the event. We will be pouring Saturday afternoon from 3:30 to 5 (probably five different beers), and my daughter Lisa will be pouring two beers at the Salmon Bake. Stop by and say hi.

We are excited to host you all at Bjornson Vineyard on Monday!

The winery is still in construction, so this will be a bit more rustic than our previous locations. Please watch where you step, there is a lot of uneven ground still, we don’t want any sprained ankles.

When you arrive at vineyard you will see the winery just inside of the gate.

We will be tasting down in the cellar, which is on the north side of the building. There is not room to park all of the cars down by the crush pad, some of you will need to park on “up top” near what will will be the tasting room.

Please do not park on the right (east) side of the driveway. The vineyard on the east side of the drive is not the property of Bjornson Vineyard, we need to make sure the owners have access to their property.

I will be bringing down some fresh baked bread from Portland that morning, we will also have some cheeses and meats available for snacks. If anybody would like to bring some more cheese and/or Charcuterie, we would appreciate it.

Cheers,

John Grochau

I will bring some smoked duck breast.

John, thanks for the logistics.

RT

Thanks for logistics post. I won’t be bringing anything other than wine and there is only a vague hope I remember that. There is little chance I show up on time let alone 30 minutes prior to being on time. I am a terrible guest for shit like this and my only saving grace is that we contributed actual chairs which hopefully buys me a semi-pass for essentially not abiding by all the standards others will be keeping. Likely I will also either be in a foul mood or give off enough of an F-off vibe that anyone who doesn’t know me won’t want to come within 50 feet of me. I will likely say something inappropriate and counter-popular opinion about one or more of the wines. Good luck.

Ken Pahlow and I would like to organize the 2015 event at Walter Scott Wines.

What vintage? Are the 2008’s ready for a try? 2007 once again?

2008s are not ready. Even entry bottles are still reticent. 2001s would be next new vintage, or 07s. Maybe it’ll come up for discussion at today’s event.

Andy, thanks. Let’s survive today and we’ll work it all out.

Jim, do people who know you want to come within 50 feet? ;^). Hope you got some rest. Rough weekend for those with ipnc obligations and multiple after after parties!

Also, we need at least one full throttle curmudgeon.

RT

A special thank you to John Grochau for hosting this year’s throwdown. Others jumped in to help with chairs, tables, glassware! A true team effort.

Thank you John!

Great event. Thanks to all!

I vote for 08, though they may be tight it would be a nice snapshot.

My favs:

Eyrie Reserve
Privé Nord
Cameron Abbey Ridge *
Thomas
Matello WV*
Cristom Marjorie**
Cristom Reserve
Shea Shea (made at PGC)

Good times.

Great time! I’m not sure if I can do justice to 29 Pinots at one sitting. I think I started to fade after about 20. I agree with Todd on 2008.

My Favorites (in no particular order):
Cameron Abbey Rdige
Cameron Geherts
Patty Green Anden
Prive Nord
Cristom Marjorie

Three thoughts - 1) I was surprised by the number of Eola/Amity wines in the tasting, 2) to my palate, over half of the wines had flavors that came from Brett. I didn’t find this to be that big of an issue. Very few of the wines were overwhelmingly bretty for my palate, and what brett there was gave the wines more complexity IMO, and 3) There seemed to be quite a bit of bottle variation - a few corked, but also some cooked bottles (IMO) and some bottles that I suspect had seen some temperatures high enough to cause a brett bloom. I think at 12 years old it’s more an issue of great bottles than great wines.

Funny, while the Abbey Ridge was absolutely gorgeous the other two Cameron wines were so brett addled that for me they were undrinkable.

Your idea of storage at 55f for potential brett bombs is spot on Rick, it makes complete sense.

I want to note that there was considerable bottle variation in some of the wines poured from 750’s, and the same wine was not necessarily poured at any table.
The only wine I found undrinkable due to brett was the Cameron Clos Electric. Some of the wines cited for notable brett were clean in my pour.
Individual taste and tolerance obviously varies as well. The Prive Nord was marred to my perception, although some said it had the “good” kind of brett.

My favorites in order poured were the DDO Laurene, Eyrie Reserve, Cameron Abby Ridge, Thomas, Patricia Green Anden, and Shea.

P Hickner

Great work from all organizers and thanks to the Bjornsens for letting us crash their pad so to speak. I find myself agreeing with most of what Rick says above. Certainly a range of brett in many of these, mostly staying on the good side - at least for my palate and preference.

Interesting to see how many mags there were at this one compared to the earlier years - thinking that’s either what people have left or figured would show better. Does make it a little harder to compare, but since bottles often varied between 750s of the same wine (no doubt for a variety of reasons) it’s pretty tough to compare them anyway. I do value the experience of prior perception vs. reality in these tastings.

Wines I figured I’d like and did - Cameron Abbey Ridge, Cameron Gehrts, Thomas, Matello (WV), PGC Anden, Evesham Wood Seven Springs, Evesham Wood L & E Cuvee, Cristom Marjorie, Andrew Rich Reserve.

Wines I thought I’d like better than I did - DDO Laurene, Eyrie Reserve, St Innocent Seven Springs, the other 3 Cristoms. Some of this may be because they didn’t quite seem ready - or at least my belief of same based on prior track record.

Wines that surprised me because I liked them - - Prive’ Le Nord, Van Duzer Estate.