Portland Weekend

The Nines often has specials but yes, airbnb is the preferred route.

Going to fly in on a Thursday morning and head to wine country (arriving 11:30 or 12 depending on my flight). Staying at the Walnut Inn based on a friend’s recommendation. Friday and Saturday night will be Portland staying at The Nines. I was able to book it through Hotwire for a decent savings off list. I booked Le Pigeon and will fill in the rest.

Probably skip Pok Pok since I have been to the Brooklyn outpost.

Not a far walk to Little Bird from the nines. It is a different experience but they are on par. Great for late night too.

As for Dundee: definitely stop at Arterberry-Maresh and Domaine Drouhin. Lunch at Red Hills Market.

We were there for Christmas. Ate at :
Laurelhurst Market open Christmas Eve and decent; $20 corkage
got a ham at Tails N Trotters for Christmas Day (amazing), daughter got leftovers
La Moule; loved the food, so good; hated the loud heavy metal music; $20 corkage
Olympic Provisions; also tasty, interesting Charcuterie; $20 corkage
Tried to go to Ox on Monday, couldn’t get in, went to Taylor Railworks. Not bad (may have been burnt out) $25 corkage

Brunches at Fern Kitchen, Petite Provence, Sckavone’s, Jam on Hawthorne, County Cat at the airport. First and last were favorites, very yummy hashes, low on wait time.

And we went to two micro Thai places. The first was called Khun Pic’s Bahn Thai. PITA to go there, really a lot of trouble, you wait forever, they only take cash, menu is limited. But we are now ruined for any other Thai food. Seriously, the red curry is unbelievable.

Husband badly wanted more Thai a couple of nights later, so we went to Chiang Mai. And didn’t enjoy it at all. Ruined, I say. Both of these places were $10 corkage.

I love Khun Pic! and you’re not kidding about hard to find. Check the google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.538516,-122.641483/Khun+Pic’s+Bahn+Thai+3429+Southeast+Belmont+Street/@45.5164522,-122.6289029,3a,61.6y,353.11h,92.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sH0ULULaJN8Lr8dtMzkFbxQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DH0ULULaJN8Lr8dtMzkFbxQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D84.194519%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m12!1m3!3m2!1s0x0:0x9a2fa96ff8699b0f!2sKhun+Pic’s+Bahn+Thai!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x5495a0937d6efa0d:0x9a2fa96ff8699b0f!2m2!1d-122.6288726!2d45.5166081

We went there years ago and had to knock on the door to see if it was the right place or someone’s house. We head to Pok Pok Noi that is great for the grand kids as well. [cheers.gif]

Yes, we only knew we had the right place because we got there 2 minutes after opening time and there were people in line!

Chiang Mai has some fantastic dishes and some meh dishes. Good work on finding Khun Pic it is not an easy task!

We have always enjoyed Lemon Grass, it’s been awhile. Address: 1705 NE Couch St, Portland, OR 97232
Phone:(503) 231-5780
We have never gotten their early enough for the spring rolls, I think you need to camp on the porch.

Khun pic and lemongrass are sisters, they don’t talk!

Portland needs a first-rate, adult hotel very badly.

[ResizeableImage=][/ResizeableImage]

Do you mean super-fancy? Hotel Lucia is very nice. Vintage Plaza as well especially the high end rooms. The Nines is nice too. Hotel Deluxe is pretty charming. I know there isn’t an Epic or Four Seasons and it would be great if that existed but those three hotels are not exactly Motel 6s.

Just inquiring as to what standard you are looking for. The Allison may be the nicest hotel around although it is about 20 miles from the city.

I have stayed at Lucia and Nines, they are ok but I’m honestly kinda old for both and if I’m working at all these places aren’t the answer.

What’s Deluxe like?

The Deluxe is nice enough. I’ve stayed there a few times. I don’t know if it’s three or four stars, but I wouldn’t assign it 4.

I stayed at Lucia last time, it’s a nice hotel. nothing extraordinary. But I’m not sure what an “adult” hotel is from Glenn’s perspective.

The Benson and Governor are pretty “adult” but not terribly swanky. I know what you mean about the Lucia. I like Deluxe quite a bit. Comfy beds and a very chill and cozy bar.

I agree.

There is a Hottel Monaco and those are usually very solid Kimpton properties. The Governor got a redo and intjinknits called The Senator or the Sentinal. The Benson is old school fancy. So is The Hearhman. There’s a Hilton. Don’t know about the Hotel Rose but they advertise themselves as swanky. The Riverfront Place is on the water and people seem to like it. These are all downtown. None are top tier ultra swanky hotels but I think they’re should be something there that might fit the bill.

I will check out Deluxe next trip in. I would dig a Four S or Peninsula PDX but I know that doesn’t exist.

If I’m in town to relax who cares, but for work + play Lucia & Nines didn’t work.

How about in the NE? Becoming our favorite quadrant.

I can’t think of a hotel outside of downtown that would fit into the category you seem to be referencing. Doesn’t mean I know all the hotels in Portland but once you cross the river it is either budget-y hotels or hotels with a theme/vibe that would run in a more youthful direction that doesn’t seem to be your jam. There’s a B and B in NE called the White House that is pretty swanky and cool and old (a friend does own it but I am not lying about the place but B and Bs don’t do it for everyone, myself included, but this place is quite a different entity from the norm).

Glenn, I would grab a drink or crack a bottle/eat some great food with you on a future foray into the city. No matter where you stay.

We tried to stay at White House once but ended up at Lion & The Rose. Place was fine but we had breakfast with a lovely racist and his wife, very illuminating. Wish I took his contact info, wonder if he’s working for Cruz or Trump these days.

We hope to make WV this spring sometime. Maybe Chardonnnay weekend?