Portland Oregon Brew Pubs and Tap Rooms

Fort George is making some great beers. I’d rank them ahead of MT based on my admittedly not comprehensive sampling. Of course, IPA is among my least favorite style so YMMV.

I’ll miss Commons. They made good and well priced beer. I’ll be stocking up today.

Adam, I wish Ft. George would open a tasting room in Portland

That would be cool since I’m in Portland way more often than I’m in Astoria.

By the way, Rick, I was in Chuck’s Hop Stop in Seattle on Sat and was very pleasantly surprised to see Heater Allen on tap. So I had one. And found bottles in the cooler. So took some home. Happy times-glad your distributed up here now!

NOOOOOOO! I only made it to Commons once but it was very early and I was the only one there say the guy tasted me on every beer. Super high standard. I loved it. To be replaced by Modern Time and sad. MT’s beers have improved IMO (and although I forgot the name of it, I had an amazing MT beer on tap in July). MT would certainly outshine breweries like Deschutes, Ninkasi, Widmer, and Rogue but for the most part they will be run of the mill. And Charlie, have you been to or had Ft. George? MT would not be in the same league as them.

The point is, it will be said to see Commons go.

Jason

I agree that Seattle is in much greater need of better breweries, and has greater market opportunities, than PDX. Although with space at a premium here, new breweries that want ample space in a walkable area are quickly running out of viable options.

If you are contemplating opening an outpost here or Commons will move here, great! If you’re offering Modern Times, no thanks. We already have a Lagunitas outpost. Monkish is more than welcome though!

almost makes me want to start buying up dying breweries equipment for a song and reselling it. With all the failures I am seeing it seems like a market to be made. I had a buddy who did that to metal manufacturers in the recession and made a killing reselling all of it a few years later. Different circumstances I know, but almost makes me want to play.

There’s a big market for used Brewery equipment. A lot of start-ups buy used equipment. I did when I first started.

I just wonder how many start ups we will see in the near future with the market declining

Well they don’t seem to be slowing down much around here in spite the 100 breweries that PDX already has. I think the reason for this is that for a breweries, the only way you can make a decent living is to find someone who will help you find your own brewery. There are probably as many people with more money than sense in brewing as there are in wine-making.

Thanks for the heads up Adam, I have been waiting for Heater Allen up here. [cheers.gif]