Portland Eats

Recommend HA and VL for Vietnamese turmeric noodle soup on Sunday. Google it. Hit it enroute to airport. It’s a hole in the wall - you must call and reserve the soup before going in-even if you’re going to dine there. The depth of flavor is amazing. They just do 2 soups per day along with bahn mi. Never had the bahn mi there, because the soups are awesome and the turmeric noodle, served only on Sundays, is the best.

believe it or not, we had a cancellation for March 5th, which is our Twin Peaks themed menu below.

Cod in the Dashi Percolator
Sesame pressed Trout Sashimi
Coffee Cup Mushi with Blacktrumpet and Corn
Turnip Waldorf Salad and Miso
Smoked Cheese Pig
Seared Duck, Yuzu, and Real Potatoes
Uni Porridge with Coffee
Omelet
Soba Ice Cream and Donuts
Roasted Tea

Tickets here: http://nodoguropdx.com/reservations/

we don’t get in till 5:30, still gotta check in and all that, we’d definitely be super late. Prob have to pass

No worries, just thought I’d toss it out.

Skip Little Bird.

Roe, I would keep.

Ava Genes, if you can get in.

Yeah, we’re skipping Little Bird for dinner, we’ll drop by for happy hour (since it’s next to our hotel) the next day since we have a late dinner at Roe.

interesting, I’ve never heard of a positive experience at Ava Gene’s.

Roe can be good but it’s also a bit rough around the edges. Execution on some dishes isn’t there.

any must hit food carts?

I wouldn’t say there’s anything you can’t get in LA. Most of the interesting stuff has gone brick and mortar. You mentioned Nong’s which is worth hitting but I’d just share a single portion and save the calories for other fun. You’ll be staying close to the pod that’s bound by 9th and 10th and alder and Washington. Walk around that block and see if anything strikes your fancy. here’s a map http://www.foodcartsportland.com/maps/

I did have one other thought. imho, the barbecue in LA isn’t very good, so you might consider lunch at Podnah’s Pit. It’s on par with Franklin.

Ava Genes, if you can get in.[/quote]

interesting, I’ve never heard of a positive experience at Ava Gene’s.
[/quote]

From my one visit to Ava Genes, I do recall it had a good all-Italian wine program but I think Nostrana is much better food wise among the Italian restaurants of PDX.

Hope you enjoy your Happy Hour at Little Bird!

All good choices and proof that there’s far more to Portland beer scene than IPA. Also, most of the fun, quirkier beer places are on the east side and not downtown (although Bailey’s does have a great tap list). If the sun is out (it does happen - we’re having our third sunny weekend in a row right now), also consider Apex/Beer Mongers at SE12th and Division (they’re kitty corner from each other).

Consider ordering the extra skin, and extra hot (if hot is ok with you both) at Nong’s.

any recs on which pine state biscuit place we should go to? It’s on my wife’s top 2 things to eat in portland behind bluestar donuts

1 Like

Alberta is a $hit $how, Schuyler is just a counter, and I don’t think the Farmer’s market is open yet so I’d go to Division as it’s right next door to 2 very, very good beer bars: Apex and Beermongers (as Rachel noted above!). The latter has an excellent cellar.

Actually consider going to Pip’s Original on Alberta for donuts.

What about Beast? Never been, but work on a show with chef Naomi.

I believe the farmer’s market is open now with biscuits. I think we’re gonna do that since we wanted to check it the farmer’s market anyways

I’ve heard good things. Got a text from one of my friends in LA who said “Been to Le Pigeon twice, go to Beast instead”. While it sounds like a fantastic spot (and has reservations available) my wife is pretty bleh about red meat even though I’m very “yah!!!” about it :slight_smile:

as someone mentioned up thread the cocktails at Expatriate are world class and Naomi does the food there. I’d recommend it over Beast. Consider too the happy hour at St. Jack given their seafood selection.

The weather is supposed to be outstanding!

From Downtown, the Streetcar will take you near a variety of places in Northwest (St. Jack, Paley’s) or the close in East Side (Le Pigeon)

If you choose Expatriate or Beast it will definitely be a Cab ride. If you head to that neighborhood, consider Dinner or snack at Cocotte on the same block. Very good and under the radar.