Points, miles and cards

Utilization and payment history are the big two for a credit score. Inquires and closed accounts will ding it a bit in the short term but not as much as you would imagine. My wife and I usally hover around 770-780, when we were churning exec cards from dec 2013 to when the bonus ended in May/June last year we never dipped to lower than the 750s. Utilization is key, 30% is good but we try to keep it less than 10%, always pay it off before the statement closes.

Agreed. AA106 and I are long-time friends. In fact the only thing I use my AA points for is JFK-LHR tickets (+ connections). Any other AA flying I do on BA points.

been playing the game for about 4 years now. Go through at least a dozen cards a year between the wife and I. Most recent check of FICO shows 800 for me and 830 for her. Highest it’s ever been for both of us.

careful as Citi is now adding this or a similar clause to their application T&C “American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months.”

How can you cancel, then re-apply and get the bonus? They’d obviously have your previous account shown, and you wouldn’t be listed as a new application anymore

They are whores, that’s why. Now it’s every 18 months, before they didn’t care. (18 month language also in the Executive Card).

Churning and cancelling to avoid the fee bothered my concience. But if I’m paying the fee (which was $250 net of the $200 credits they were offering), I didn’t mind getting a handful of cards at 100k miles each.

Not sure you could get the bonus miles b4 paying the initial annual fee. Of course many cards waive the first year fee. AA executive platinum was not one of them. 100k for $450 minus the $200 statement credit was a great deal. A great deal even without the credit.

So these bonus miles travel cards can be cancelled, and you can re-apply with the same SS#, and get them all over again?>?

yes. just gotta read the T&C as they of course vary from card to card and bank to bank.

Read last night on FlyerTalk that one guy is on his 19th Hilton Honors Reserve Credit Card. Based on Citibanks new terms, I have to assume that he won’t be able to get his 20th until 18 months after he closes his current one.

Definitely could get the AF refunded if cancelled within 37 days. For those that need to purchase Admiral’s Club access, this is a no brainer as it comes with it. (Ironically, my company will pay for the Admiral’s club, but not part of my personal credit card annual fee - oh well).

then of course you have to hit the spend requirement within the first billing cycle and hope the points post within the 37 days after activation. Never tried that route b4 as the points are always worth a lot more than the first year fee.

For the exec churn the points would post with the annual fee on the first statement. As long as you met minimum spend before the first statement cut you would be golden. A quick 10K in vanilla reloads back then (Now dead) made this easy. Once the statement cuts and points posted at AA, secure message citi to close the card. 100K AA miles and $200 statement credit, I’m supprised citi let it last as long as it did which was 6+ months.

I didn’t do this with every card, we both have one open with annual fee coming due, will definitely be closing it.

At one point last year the wife and I both had two exec cards open, both applied for #3 and both were approved, bonus and all.

Citi was seriously trying to burn through those 1B+ points they pre bought from AA

I use the benefits, 10K elite qualifying miles, Admirals Club membership, and no forex fees, which are worth much more than $450 to me. Churning the cards isn’t worth my time or energy. YMMV

It does if you’re 26 years old and have only had a couple of credit cards. For an older gentlemen like you (or me), and as Jordan mentioned below, it doesn’t matter. Only one FYI, if you’re planning on buying a house or car in the near future, lay low on opening lots of cards.

pretty mind blowing Todd, once you get into the depth of the card/miles game… [cheers.gif]

Not an issue; I have one Amex and one Visa. No balance on either

Just two? [scratch.gif] [swoon.gif]

And hardly ever use card #2

Same here.