Please introduce me to Rhone.

I echo the fine words about Rhone whites. A few bottles will be real fun but expect them to be on the drier style maybe.

I am always up for a learning experience. If I don’t like it, then I don’t like it. Lesson learned.

Jeff Davis of Shoppers Vineyard – his new post – is beginning to bring in some interesting stuff and pointed-out his recent grab: Mont Olivet’s 2014 Cotes du Rhone which was only $14 Wine Store - Shoppers Vineyard Fort Lee isn’t that far from Clifton. [cheers.gif]

But, if you ever really wanted to get schooled apropos the Southern part of the Rhone, you’ve got to attend the amazing event that’s throw in – or, around – the first week of April in CdP: http://www.lesprintempsdechateauneufdupape.fr/ The reasons for attending this event are endless, not least of which is the fact that it costs less than the bottle I just recommended, and yet you’ve got the opportunity to experience the entire line-ups from 70+ estates.

All the best,

Kenney

The OP just wants to learn something about the wines, and he specified Gigondas and Vacqueyras. While visiting the area, and certainly going to the April wine show there are certainly great things to do, visiting a store, buying some wine and tasting it would be a better first step.

I don’t know a whole lot about Rhone wines but would Jean-Louis Chave be a good reference point for Saint Joseph?

Who are some producers turning out the leaner, lower-alcohol southern Rhones?

Grenache isn’t really a low alcohol variety, which is why some people just don’t like Southern Rhones. But you might try Texier’s wines. They are controversial but I very much like his CDP. They are well north of $30, though. For whatever reason, I have never been as taken by his Southern Rhone CDRs. His Northern Rhone wines are great, though and many are in the OPs price range.

The Chave St. Joseph is about $60. To me it is very expensive for what it is. Other posters have already listed a number of better St. Joseph’s above at a more attractive price point. The Domaine Faury St. Joseph at about $30 is fantastic for the money. The Clos du Mont Olivet Chateauneuf can often be found around $30-34. Excellent QPR.
Byron

I can find the 2012 Chave for $33ish on Banquet/Delectable.

I love Chave´s Hermitage - and while his (Domaine) St.Joseph is also excellent it is too pricey (in the market) for what it is.
I´d recommend a Crozes-Hermitage, maybe Graillot La Guiraude - or even the regular Crozes-H…

I´d recommend a Crozes-Hermitage, maybe Graillot La Guiraude - or even the regular Crozes-H…

Me too

I was going to say that, dollar for dollar, you’ll get much more interesting wines out of the Languedoc, but then I checked wine-searcher, and the entire USA has precisely one bottle of Peyre Rose for sale [a 2002 Clos des Cistes out at Wine Exchange].

Still though, with any luck, the Languedoc is the place to go for value.

The Rhone is way too expensive now.

That’s the “Offerus” bottling, which is a negocient wine, while the “estate” St Joe is from vineyards owned by Chave. They are different wines. And I would personally put the Chave estate St Joe right up there in quality (and value) with just about any other St Joseph.

Had the 2003 Peyre Rose Syrah Leone recently - great even against clos de Truffiers …
but it is very expensive … 75+ ?

Not the Offerus (which is listed at 27$).
File_000.png

Marlène Soria is a brilliant marketeer.

Fortunately for her, she happens to be marketing some very, very nice wines.

If you want a really nice off-dry Rhone white, then look for Texier’s Opale:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/texier+opale/1/usa

It’s not easy to find, but it’s about the most refreshing Rhone you could ask for in the dog days of summer.

If you hunt, you can find the regular Graillot Crozes for $30 or a little less. It can give a lot of pleasure – lots of fruit. The La Guiraude goes for about twice that – well over the OP’s price ceiling.

Well, LG here for 32-35 € … not always and not everywhere.

Texier