Planning a visit to the Finger Lakes

If you’re flying from Rochester I would second Century and Marketview. Both easy to get to off of I-590/390 respectively. IMHO Marketview has a slightly better NY selection but Century is better overall. If you want any local NY beer/cider AJ’s is an absolute must and is right around the corner from Marketview.

I’ll be in Ithaca later today, any recommendation for the best wine store to pick up local wines? Also a good place to each lunch with 2 kids?

Wow, this is short notice. Definitely hit Northside Wines on the SOUTH side of Ithaca (other side of the street from Wegmans and down the road a bit on the Left (5 Guys Burgers plaza). Great selection. Can’t help out about the kids as not sure their ages, what kind of food they like, etc.

Short notice indeed. Are you having supper in the region?

By the way, there likely is no good place to eat lunch with two kids [tease.gif]

Big day today! Finally found a Finger Lakes Riesling up here, the 2013 Fox Run Dry Riesling.

Century Liquors, while still good and with little competition in Rochester, is a shadow of its former self since Sherwood effectively retired and sold it to the Wegmans. One of my more thrilling activities back in the day when I lived in Rochester was the drive out past Kodak Park (another shadow) on Ridge Road to the old Century Liquors, that place was awesome… huge, musty, staffed by a crew of regulars and old timers who worked there for decades, filled with with box after box of cheap wines and heavily discounted liquors, yet with a stellar French and American wine selection and a direct import business from Bordeaux and Burgundy. I remember wistfully cases of the 1990 Montrose for $41 a bottle… on the shelf!

I fully concur with this comment, with the exception that I’m not so sure the store remains without competition. For selection size, Marketview may have overtaken Century.

Pat, did you ever go into the warehouse at the old century location? As a wine salesman, I made frequent trips back there. It was spectacular–seemed bigger than the front of the house and more tightly packed with wine.

Having picked up 2 more Fox Run Rieslings, I noticed that there is also a Chardonnay on the shelf at the store. Would any Beserker like to comment if I should buy?

It’s a decent wine - nothing over the top special…

Add Dr. Frank and Standing Stone and I would agree with you! [cheers.gif]

Oops - replied to an old post… [snort.gif]