Pizza Rustica - Easter specialty

Looks great and sounds like almost the same recipe as my wife’s family recipe.

Our family always used the Neapolitan name for this, Pizza Chiena. Recipe is very similar to yours but with the addition of some farmers (fresh) cheese to the mix, olive oil instead of butter, and lots of black pepper in the dough. Didn’t get to make it this year as we were all fluish but I’m going to make it in a couple of weekends.

From what part of Italy did your wife’s family live? My maternal grandparents were from Puglia and in particular, the province of Bari.
So much of Italian food is regional with variations on a theme.
And a lot of what we know in America is an Italian-America version of regional foods.

Hope you are over the flu. Tough to cook when not feeling well.
If you do make it this year, I would enjoy seeing a picture. Thanks.

My Dad’s family were from the Abuzzo region and they called this pie Shadone. My Dad was one of eight kids and they had a competition with each other every year to see who made the best pie. This pie consisted of ham, pepperoni, eggs, parmesan cheese, and some herbs. Don’t remember it having ricotta but I’ll check on it.

One side of the family came from just outside Naples and the other from Biano up in Piedmont. Not sure which side this recipe came from.

Buon Italia still had both Pizza Rustica and Casatiello for sale last week. I opted for the latter (very good) but will be checking if they still have any of the former today to give that a try.