Pittsburgh?

Thanks, David. Any new restaurants in town worth visiting?

We went to Cure (Lawrenceville) in April. Corkage was $20 and the appetizers were great. Could not get a reservation for Morcilla and now that it just got a ‘Top 10’ in the country from Bon Appetite probably harder to get in to. Went to Eleven. Would not recommend it for food or service. Wine was lovely but we brought the wine ourselves. [snort.gif]

Thanks Colleen.

Booked a late dinner for Cure this Sunday (did not realize so many places there are closed on Sundays, with a lot on summer vacation, too!) and for Saturday a late dinner at Dish Osteria. Might try the pizza at Piccolo Forno for lunch, too.

Didn’t get a chance to explore last time I was there. My wife is a vegetarian and my son only ate white food at the time

Doug, let me know what you think of Cure. Seems like a lot of the foodie Pittsburgh places are also closed over Labor Day weekend. We’re back in Pittsburgh visiting friends in Oct so interested in hitting some other foodie places. Pittsburgh has such great geography, nice to see the food scene take off as well.

Dish Osteria was really good. Nice and cozy, lively vibe. We had beef carpaccio with parmesan and arugula, grilled squid, a well done caprese salad, grilled quail over a grilled corn kernel and arugula salad, and gnocchi with a boar ragu. Tiramisu and a peach tart for dessert. Excellent meal.

Pizza at Aiello’s (recommended to me as the best in Pittsburgh) was interesting and pretty good. I liked the neapolitan-style pizza at Il Pizzaiolo in Mt Lebanon more (an excellent restaurant based upon our pizza and a plate of veggies and caesar salad).

I wasn’t as happy with Cure. It was trendy and hipsterish while being a bit serious (e.g., they wouldn’t let us order starters first and then entrees when we were ready to order, saying it would mess up their “flow”). But more substantive than that complaint was their recipes were too cluttered.

Take Cure’s tomato salad, in comparison with Dish’s simple caprese - Cure did a tomato, feta, and watermelon salad. I like that dish. But Cure added compressed cucumber, dehydrated fried black olive, spicy yogurt sauce, and a mint foam. All that stuff detracted from what is a pretty classic and should be pretty awesome dish if made with good ingredients. A chanterelle and corn pasta dish was way too sweet (maybe they sugared the sauce??), spaghetti carbonara was both too salty and not rich enough, and desserts (a chocolate souffle-like dish and a panna cotta) were also aggressively salted (I get the idea of sweet and salty - a date and egg yolk moon cake from a chinese bakery in squirrel hill shows how it should be done - but Cure just didn’t do it well.)

Cure is more of a destination for meats. Piccolo Forno is the destination for pasta, byob and no reservations. The Lawrenceville PLCB isn’t good. You’ll need to go to East Liberty, Waterworks or Oxford for any kind of selection.

Interesting. Besides their salumi plate, the only meat Cure had on their menu was a chicken entree and a hanger steak.

Which reminds me - we also split a cod entree at Cure, which featured rubberly inedible clams!

Seems odd that they have reduced the offerings based on meat, no excuses for rubbery clams. I’m guessing the efforts are being focused on Morcilla.

[Nostalgia]That where we used to hang out after drinking beer in the park in my high school days. [/Nostalgia] champagne.gif

Ha! And the same high-school nostalgia almost tempted me to help myself to a 40oz of Mickey’s from their refrigerator!

Dish osteria closed
Grit and grace being converted to BRGR
Salt closed
Union pig and chicken is closed afaik
Pork and beans for BBQ opened in the cultural district
3 taco places opened in the cultural district with tako across from Heinz hall

We liked Everyday Noodles quite a lot. We ate Cure, Grit and Grace, and Round Corner Mexican in addition to Everyday Noodles. Had cocktails at a bank themed restaurant and then at the bar in the Omni. Went to the Allegheny Wine Mixer and one other brewery that I don’t remember.

Cure was caught serving illegally imported horse meat:

Will this mean the Dog Dinner is cancelled?