Pitsburgh PA

Most places allow corkage but the usual rule to call first applies. I don’t think Altius allows BYOB. Where are you going?

Good question! Got so enamored of looking through the menus that I realized that we’d probably missed the window for making easy reservations which we have. blush So looks like we will do Cure on Thursday night - I need to call them about corkage. E2 looks interesting but they don’t take reservations for under 6. Meat and Potatoes has no openings. Ditto Morcilla. Friday looks like Eleven (said $20 per bottle corkage). Saturday night rez still up for grabs. Looking forward to trying out some of these places.

I assume you’re bringing wine?

Cure is $20 corkage, though they have a small, well-thought-out list (that seems pricey to me). They’ve never given me any issues on BYOB, though I always call first.

Dave

Tom - yes! bringing wine… A selection of Oregon pinot noirs and Chardonnays…

Dave - thank you. Just confirmed with Cure that they are $20.

Possibility for Saturday night is Legume. Small place on N Craig in Oakland. Interesting menu. Has anyone eaten here? Website says $15 corkage.

It’s been a while since we’ve eaten there. We used to live closer and the menu turned more towards red meat. Looks like the menu is similar to the “old menu”, we’ll have to go back. They’re friendly with corkage.

I haven’t been to Altius in a year but they were byob then. Cant beat that view!

We just went to Butcher and the Rye this past weekend. Great food and byob. They have a small wine list but are known for whisky (rye). Capital grill and melting pot are always safe byob bets with good environment and food. I also second the alla famiglia recommendation from years ago, but take an uber.

You can byob at all a familia?

Yes we were there this past August and we brought a few bottles.

Just BYO to Altius, which is now $35/bottle…thier wine list is just ok and 2.5-3x retail. May be our last visit there.

Thanks they started out with byob and then didn’t allow it. The markup is pretty standard for PA.

Donato’s is closing

Cure $20
Morcilla $25 but they seem to waive it often.

Hey Everyone here is my list for favorite PGH restaurants that allow BYOB.

-Top BYOB no liq license no cork fee:
Cafe Dujour
Cafe Zinho
Cucina Vitale
Piccolo Forno
Penn Ave Fish Company
Gaucho Parilla Argentina
B52. * Favorite
Girasole (has alc but no cork fee)
Everyday Noodles
Chengdu Gourmet
Cafe 33
Multiple Thai (Noodlehead, Smiling Banana Leaf,Thai Gourmet, Senyai Kitchen, Nickys Northside)
The Columbian Spot
Choolah indian
Salem Halal
La Tavola
Enricos Cafe (has wine but no cork fee )

-BYOB with liq license with cork fee:
All of Deshantz restaurants are $20 ( meat and potatoes, butcher and rye, poulet Bleu, Tako, Fish nor fowl)
All of Big Burritto restaurants are $20 (Alta Via, Casbah, Eleven, Soba, Kaya, Umi)
Dianoias $15
Whitfield $20
Spork $20
Vandal $15 *favorite
Morcilla $25
Altius $35
Union Standard $20
Legume $15. * one of my other favorites in this category!
Spoon $20

-Places where I have brought wine and been turned down:
Ki Ramen
Soju

Hope this helps my fellow Yinzers!

Dang Nicolas!

Other than La Tavola and the Big Burritos, I haven’t eaten at any of these.

Will have to rectify that when I visit.

Have you been to Alla Famiglia?

I’ve been. Old school Italian that was good but didn’t live up to the hype. We ordered the special cheese pasta course prepared in a wheel of Parmigano. I’d go back but would stick to the standard pasta. I don’t recall the wine list being memorable, but of course this is Pittsburgh with all the usual PLCB constraints. Don’t know about corkage.

How is La Tavola? I’m always looking for new italian restaurants.

I love Piccolo Forno. Alla Familigia is good, but way overpriced.

There is a small italian place on Painters Run road in the south hills called Claudio’s. No corkage and good food. Prices are low but cash only.

It has been years (like 2002) since I have been to La Tavola. The motif was not awe-inspiring, but the food was very good, and inexpensive. Met Dave Lagarde (King of Hearts on the WS boards) there when he was covering the AFC Championship (we won’t discuss the results [wow.gif] ) for the NO Times-Picayune. Has anyone heard from him?

It has also been years since I was at Alla Famiglia (they didn’t have a liquor license at the time), and had a veal chop that was out of this world. I believe ownership has changed since that time. I believe the chef may have purchased it.

South side has Stagioni and Dish Osteria. Both more casual, non-red gravy places. Stagioni does corkage, don’t know about Dish Osteria.

Hit Bistro19 tonight in Mt Lebanon. They have a $15 corkage fee. Food was excellent. Try the Almond chicken if it’s on the menu.