Pig Roast

I didn’t but glad to hear that it lived up to the reviews I read. I’ve gotten spoiled for roast pig since having lechon. So many other versions don’t measure up.

That and sisig are probably my two favorite Filipino foods (among many) I’ve been introduced to since being with Arnold.

On the other hand I’ll never understand Filipino style spaghetti. I think you need to have grown up with it. Sweet spaghetti. [shrug.gif]

Oh yeah, there are plenty of odd Filipino foods. My Dad is Filipino, but my mom is a Bostonian WASP, and I’m from Pittsburgh. My sisters and I actually grew up eating much more typical American food than Filipino food and my Dad cooked and ate some of the strange stuff himself. I actually like Filipino food more now, but still only a minority proportion of it.

I agree about sisig though. It is tasty. There’s a food truck here (White Rabbit) that has all sorts of sisig stuff, from plates to tacos and and burritos. There’s also a place (Belly and Snout) that does some riffs on Filipino food like tater tots topped with sisig and a fried egg.

We also have Purple Yam (unfortunately all the way out in Ditmas Park) which does good updated versions of classic Filipino dishes. It’s the chef who used to run Cendrillon in Manhattan before rent increases drove him out.

Not sure I would try this a second time.

why?

Curious too what changed between April of '15 when you said it came out well and now, eight months later, if anything. I suspect you mean that it was an awful lot of work for what in the end is a unique presentation of simple roasted pork. I know that feeling. The process is more fun than the result. It’s that way with a lot of cooking. I suspect that for most guests who don’t get to enjoy the fun of cooking the damned pig, it is simple roast pork that they politely pretend to enjoy but don’t really find all that exciting. Just one more reason why many espouse the “simple things are best” mantra. If you look at it like fishing, it might help. When you fish, particularly fly fishing, you learn to accept that the fun is mostly in everything other than the ultimate prize. But with fly fishing, you don’t have to deal with a messy back yard after the guests are gone, with greasy leftovers and a greasy serving table and a greasy roasting box, all while somewhat hung over and needing a nap. Yep, been through that process a few times.

sauternes!