Picking a destination for a very special occasion

I had a great time in the Kumbu region of Nepal. Am planning another trip soon to do the Annapurna Circuit.

I enthusiastically endorse this suggestion. Apart from the cultural attractions, nice accommodations and fine food, there’s some stunningly good scenery. The Cirque de Gavarnie is one of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen.

Vitoria Falls, the world’s largest falls is still on my list. Took care of Iguazu earlier this year. Nothing like the majesty of the world’s largest waterfalls.

I’m going to suggest something that will be way out of most people’s typical time off: a “trek” along the Colorado continental divide through honest to God wilderness.

Basically, you do a backpacking trip where you only carry a daypack and porters carry your tent, food, etc and cook for you… there is nothing like an incredible wine with a great dinner after an exhilarating day of walking through an area of pristine beauty.

I know you indicated the Alps but didn’t specify where. Switzerland is one of our favorite countries in the world and offers a multitude of possibilities.

The West of Ireland, if you’ve never been. Type “Connemara” into any search engine and look at the pictures and see if that’s what you’re looking for.

I second the Norway recommendation too. Wind your way west from Oslo and then north through the fjords to Trondheim, then further north to end up at the Lofoten Islands inside the arctic circle. If you get a good stretch of weather it’s incredible. Then get a sleeper on the overnight train from Narvik to Stockholm and finish your trip there. Only caveat is that Norway is seriously expensive.

I third this rec

Thanks folks. Norway seems to be creeping towards the top of the list.

When are you leaving?

As a norwegian, I am not sure how good idea Norway, northern Norway in particular, is for someone who doesn’t eat fish…

A friend of my wife who travels extensively has visited Bhutan, and says it is the most magical place she has ever been. You have to travel in a guided tour, and it is certainly not a wine drinking vacation.

P Hickner

Most of our vacations are not wine drinking trips. I often intentionally go dry.

Update: we are headed for Svalbard, Norway on a photography trip. We will finally get above the Arctic Circle (bucket list item for us), and likely get to photograph polar bears!

+1000. Spent two glorious weeks traveling throughout the country in 2011, including the Lofoten Islands. Very pricey, but worth it for the scenery. Can’t wait to go back. And hope to hit Svalbard next time.

Bhutan and Mongolia are also high on my list of places to go.

Have a great trip, David! We were in Bergen and Oslo for about a week in September, just loved it. Some of the best fish I’ve eaten anywhere. Prices are high, but not stellar (I think the NOK has come down quite a bit vs the $ in recent years). And FWIW I found it the happiest country I’ve ever been in.

Have a great trip!

Make an exception at Huset, http://www.huset.com