Photos from San Sebastian and Bocuse

Yup…comes in a “wrapper” and you squeeze it on bread with herbs/lettuce…it was so meaty (the garlic) and delicious. The herbs were very bitter and a bit distracting from the overall dish. Great flavor on that garlic.

My meal was stunningly great. Would go back any day of the week. Service was SPECTACULAR.

Cristian,

Mugaritz was lovely but there was some highs and lows in the food, some dishes were just ok but some dishes were great. The service, while no where near as formal as Martin Berasategui was very friendly and accommodating. The staff want to be there and it shows in their work.

As you can see, there were lots of small bites so the ability to try a lot of items was a plus.

I would return but I would like to do that in the winter where there are more game items just to see a contrasting menu.

Also, another thing that I liked about Mugaritz was, according to a chef in the kitchen, they aren’t afraid to cook a dish for just one or two tables. For example, if they were to get some grouse or squab, etc… but they only had enough for 4 people or 8 people they would use that and only those 4 or 8 people would get that item as they don’t have to make the exact same menu for everybody in the restaurant. That is a great thing for me and shows me the flexibility of the kitchen and the ability of the staff.

I love Mugaritz. The other amazing and accommodating thing they used to do – and perhaps still do – is they would cook you essentially any dish in their history/library if you asked ahead and there was something you particularly wanted, irrespective whether it was on the menu. I’m sure that was subject to seasonality, but it shows an eagerness to please guests who go there as a special occasion – and the customer focus of Mugaritz is really refreshing when compared with other high-end modern restaurants which can be a bit more dictatorial.

We absolutely love Mugaritz. A beautiful and comfortable place, with (to me) some of the best service anywhere in the world. They strike just the right balance, and, as others have said, obviously enjoy their work and are very proud of their restaurant. One of the chefs on our second visit went to the trouble of writing out for us where his favorite stalls are in the market in San Sebastian. We have always loved the food as well. Not every course blows us away - there are so many, how could they? - but so many are so delicious, that the ones which don’t work quite as well are more curiosities to us than disappointments.

We had the same menu at Etxebarri a few weeks ago. That egg and mushroom dish is the only real failure I’ve ever encountered there, and I miss the tiny mozzarella they used to do, but have now replaced with the very nice, but not as wonderful, fresh cheese. I’ll still go back every time.

Glad you seem to have enjoyed your trip Michael!

Bravo for sharing this in photos with us, Michael! Brings back some great memories.

Best meal I’ve ever had was at Etxebarri and that was a day after a stunning meal at Mugaritz.

Does Mugaritz still offer any bottle in their (very large as I remember) cellar by the glass? The somm told me this at the end of the meal after I had tried to find the universal wine I could to match with all the dishes (and, my very light drinking wife as my only companion).

We’re trying to get back after a break to have a kid.

Thanks for all of these. I have one more meal to book. This looks like the one. This looks incredible.
It is much appreciated Michael. Great pics.

Great photos Michael.

Great stuff, Michael. And thank you for posting back to my thread from 6 years ago too! What an amazing place to visit - seems like yesterday.