Peter Luger really worth it?

Huh. Good to know. I’m going to be on (forced onto) the island for some witness interviews soon.

Better atmosphere in Williamsburg

Once you’re inside having porterhouse, the atmosphere in both restaurants looks pretty much similar.

Very respectfully, I strongly disagree. I am heavy into restaurant atmosphere, and unless it has changed from when I last ate at the LI branch many years ago, there’s really no comparison – I’d never return to Luger’s on the island.

The LI Luger had been the same since I remember eating there many years ago. While Brooklyn’s Luger does have its original feel, I’ll just warn that the front room on the left is a modern remake of the original on one on the right and doesn’t have the same old-style ambiance and feels just like a modern remake of tradition.

I too hate going to the island as it is a major trek from my house in Manhattan. But, LI is the much easier one to score a reservation with on shorter notices and the half-timbered dining decor still attempts to evoke tradition (Alsace/German tradition, as it may seem, to me).

But just as I stated earlier, when eating their excellent porterhouse, both places does not differ. One thing to add for those looking for a more diversified menu is that the LI branch offers a good lobster which Brooklyn does not.

Don’t waste your time. I never understood drowning a nice steak with clarified butter. It’s an experience but not a pleasurable one, especially the service.

I’ve been to PL three times – all three with large groups of guys: college friends and bachelor parties. In that context, it’s great fun and plenty tasty.

But if I were in NY for a few days and wanted to eat well, I would never waste a dinner on steak PL. There are so many superior options that are significantly more interesting and tasty (without the schlep).

So is it worth it? I’d say yes, in a strict monetary sense. I never felt ripped off, and it does provide good food and a unique experience. But certainly, there are better things to do with your time and your money in NY unless you have some sort of personal or sentimental desire to go to PL.

Thanks guys for all the responses and advice, appretiate it!

My father has raved about PL for years now (they go there each time they are in NYC), hence why I wanted to try it. I’m also a sucker for dry aged beef…
BTW, we’ve been to Eats on Lexington Avenue yesterday evening for a burger, they use 3 weeks dry aged ground beef and man, was it tasty! Had a Rioja 2005 for $40 that was pretty good (and much better q/p/r than the Beaujolais G. Dubeuf at $36…).

I called Peter Luger earlier and wanted to book a table for tomorrow’s lunch, but they need a US phone number otherwise they won’t take the reservation. I’m staying at someone’s place using airbnb, so no local phone and thus no booking possible.

I may try a walk-in either early before noon or late around 2PM, but don’t want the wife to be p*ssed either so we’ll see. I’ll check other options even if I guess we might be late also to get a table. We’ll see!

Thanks again!

Alain

Alain,

Don’t bother trying to walk in, they are booked. I have tried on Saturday a few times at around 2:00-2:30pm and never been able to secure a table without a one hour wait.

I don’t have a problem with their service. Easiest way for me is to convey that I can’t be rushed. I order the appetizers, and tell them that I’ll wait to order the entree. They generally get the idea then that I won’t be a quick flip. If you don’t manage the process yourself, you’ll be out in 60-75 minutes and feel rushed.

I like PL a lot. I can make a great steak at home for cheaper, but sometimes it’s nice to go out for a night like that. I especially enjoy taking others there for special events (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.)

Also, I don’t think the steak for one is the porterhouse, so I’d go for at least steak for two.

Tipping the maître de helps.

So we went yesterday for lunch! We walked in around 1.15PM, not too many people waiting in the lobby/at the bar, so the maitre d’ told us that we should have a table shortly.

At that moment, I realized that I forgot to get some cash, so we had to go to the bank across the street. Unfortunately, after 3 failed attempts at the ATM with two different cards, the clerk inside tells us that this bank doesn’t accept foreign cards (what the… ?!?), so we had to go way back right at the subway station to another bank. This took us 15+ minutes instead of the anticipated 3-5min.
Coming back, the lobby is packed and I’m thinking our chance is gone. Luckily, the maitre d’ (looking a bit pissed but still very polite) assigns us a table right away and here we go!

We took the bacon as a starter, pretty tasty but nothing to write home about imo.
The steak for two (porterhouse) was great, very very tender if lacking a bit in taste. I’m not sure how much they age their steak (house secret), but I’m pretty sure it is not more than 4 weeks, and I’d bet on 20-25 days based on the “funkiness” of the fat near the bone.
Cooking at medium-rare was perfect. The german potatoes (a twist on röesti) were good, but seeing the french fries at the next table, we should have gone with that, even if I’m guessing they are much heavier.

No room left for a dessert, so we were indeed in and out in 60-75 minutes. It felt a tad rushed, but we had lots of stuff to do in the afternoon so that was not an issue for us. The waiter was very polite, no issues on that front.

The only other criticism I’d have is that there is a bit too much butter in the plate, so you have to be careful not to let your meat be drowned too much otherwise the flavour will mostly be butter instead of meat.

So all in all, a nice experience, I’m not sure I’d go back again (we tried to walk around a bit but it’s not a great neighbourhood for tourists, so you go only for that) now that I’ve tried it.
Then again I checked other steakhouses in Manhattan and it seems to be one of if not the cheapest.

Also, I had a glass of malbec (not sure from where) and it did the job, actually was pretty ok.

Alain

Thanks for the report Alain. Glad it was an enjoyable, if less than life-altering, experience

that’s pretty much exactly what i expected to read.

yes, butter is a cheap cheat. what are they covering for?