Paul Draper Retires...

Congratulations to Paul on his retirement. It is certainly well deserved. I only met him a handful of times, but the one item that really struck me about him was that he appeared to be genuinely interested in wanting to talk to people, rather than having to talk to people. And he loved to talk about so many things besides wine!

I have complete confidence in the team at Ridge, but I also think that Paul is synonymous with Ridge. He is one of the greats in US Wine history, as he has made world-class wines for many years with both a Cabernet blend and a Zinfandel blend. I wish him good health and happiness in retirement.

Thanks,
Ed

God bless. A plethora of excellent winemaking, loved many of them. And I’m not ancient.

All the best for Paul in retirement.

Here’s a pic of him talking at the HVS dinner at Chez Panisse a few years ago:
DSC_1722.jpg
Plenty of other characters in that shot, including Joel Peterson, Chris Cottrell, Mike Dildine, David Gates, Mike Officer, Deborah Hall.

I know Eric Baugher pretty well, and he will do a fantastic job. As others have mentioned, he’s been the winemaker at Monte Bello for several years, and even without the input of undisputed legend Draper, Ridge is in very, very good hands.

I think part of Paul’s legacy are not only the wines he has made, but the people he has put in place for the next generation.

I was lucky enough to do two major verticals with him, the first in New York, and the second, in February at the winery with him and some close friends for a big birthday celebration. At the winery, he showed us round for a couple of hours before sitting down for another four hours. As others have noted, he listens as much as talks, and when he does talk you realize how much he knows, and how he is happy to share. After six hours, he is still going strong, most of us were failing. A remarkable and wonderful man, and I wish him well in his retirement.

Yup…similar experience. When I was going to the Aspen F&W Festival, I’d rent a condo for friends and we’d have our own
winemaker dinners where we’d all cook & invite winemakers. One evening, we had both Paul & DarrellCorti over.
After the dinner was finished, we just sat there and listened to Darrell & Paul visit on a vast variety of subjects, ranging
far & wide. We all (well…most all…there were a couple of wusses) just sat there in utter fascination taking it all in
and learning from these icons.
I’ve often speculated that if Paul or Darrell had gone into physics…they’d have easily been Noble Prize Winners. But the world
is a better place that they went into wine.
Tom

And that represents the very highest level of leadership/management

Mondavi.

[scratch.gif]