Passport expiration question

Another potential pitfall; some countries require 2 blank pages left (South Africa specifically). However the last two pages of a US passport are not regular pages, and don’t count. Since I was entering South Africa twice (side trip to see Victoria Falls), I needed 4 regular pages. The night before I’m leaving, I read Flyertalk and find out about the last 2 pages not counting, and I really needed 6 blank pages at the end.

Talk about expedited! Drove to the LA passport office, on line at 7am, got it by 3:30, in time to go home (45 miles away), pick up my luggage and make the 9pm flight.

Several folks in tears at the office after being turned away at LAX.

Relying on an airline to tell you anything not in their control would certainly lead to more tears.

Matt. Because people plan a 2 week trip and stay a month. Or 3.
Really not that hard to understand, and anyone traveling to a foreign country should be aware of the requirements of that country.
It’s all out there in the Internet.
And no, it is not the airline’s responsibility to verify all their customer’s passport expiration dates. That is a personal responsibility.

You can renew or receive a replacement passport at many, if not most, of the US consulate’s and embassy’s around the world.

First of all, the condescension in this thread is uncalled for. Some of us travel out the country a few times a decade. I did a metric ton of research for my trip and didn’t come across this issue until I came here looking for additional France recs 24 hours before departure. And it scared the heck out of me, since I planned a trip June 6 to 30 with a passport expiring Sept 13, and it turns out that the rule is 3 months from intended return home. Sure, lots of people travel for just a few days so there is no immediate reason to neg me, however, when I was called up to the desk just before boarding the flight and asked how long we were planning to stay I just about had a heart attack. I was honest.

Well, we are in France. Thank goodness. Since they issue visas for 3 months, I’m not sure why the official rule is tied to your intended departure home, not actual arrival, but whatever. The customs officer stamped my passport no questions asked like every other border crossing (other than returning to the US, of course). If I had been flying out June 11 or 12, maybe it would be different. I’m not sure why the us state dept says 6 months, the French consular site says 3.

This was a proper outcome - France needs my $ more than they need to worry about me quitting my job to become an undocumented alien - Francophile history teachers from the US are not really their first concern with immigration these days.

PS: our first meal ended up being a Berserker rec - lunch at David Toutain - totally awesome. Berserkers has been so good for travel. Needless to say, the passports are getting renewed as soon as we get back.

I don’t see that in this thread. Have a great trip.

This is really good to know. We need to make sure all the folks overstaying their visas here, or without any passport at all, know about this [stirthepothal.gif]