Parker 2013 Napa Reviews in October-Predictions?

2-3 Bevans
Fairchild Stones
Odette Res
Screagle
Abreu Thor & Mad

My predictions would include Myriad Elysian 13, and Harlan '12. I think Absurd would be '12 too.

absurd '12 already got 100. another 100 would be 200. an all-time high!! :slight_smile:
i’ve had it and it is stellar, but maybe not 200 points worthy.

I wasn’t aware Realm made an Absurd again in '13. Sorry for the gaff.

My impressions from 2013 is that it was more structured across the board in California for most varieties. Especially Cab Sauv.

I know Parker catches a ton of sh!t on this board and it’s easy to hate on him. I personally have no opinion on him either way…

But, my question is this… Given his demeanor and what appears to be a man that is not doing so well (last video I saw of him he looked like a transient that was utterly confused as to where and what he was doing and saying…sorry, I really want to be delicate but that was my impression), should those that have faith in his palate and ratings place any credit in his reviews?

His 100s do seem to be handed out easier than ever in the last few years, but what stock can you place in his hundy pointers?

Meh, probably discussed here ad nauseum.

Piling on to what others have said but at the Bassins tasting in April, I noted that the tannins in the 2013 were bigger than any of the prior tastings. I have been going since the 2007 vintage so that covers the past seven vintages. I thought it was mention on the tread on the tasting.

This thread would be more fun as an over/under poll imo.
I think 10 is a reasonable number to start.

What I have been told is that he is consistent. He likes what he likes and year in/year out he scores consistent to his palate. Whether you agree with his palate not not is your own thing but Parker doesn’t sway with trends or jump on new bandwagons.

14 napa cabs got 100 last year. I’m going to assume there were a lot more pre-rated in a range reaching 100 for 2013’s than the 2012s. I’m going to say 20 as the total for 2013s.

I can’t believe how much relevance some people place on Robert Parker’s ratings in this day and age. Twenty years ago sure, but now it’s out of control, 100 points for this, and 100 points for that, really? Don’t get me wrong, he is a creative writer who conveys great passion in his work, but the scores are a bit ridiculous in my opinion. However I am thankful that one of my absolute favorite Cabernet’s continues to receive rather pedestrian scores by Parker’s standards (90-95).

But we needed a new Parker thread [snort.gif]

What is indisputable is that Parker’s influence is still high.
No need to continue to beat dead horses.
How about keep the thread to the discussion of 2013 100 point wines and bash parker elsewhere.

+1

Did he take a helicopter there?

Any Bob rumors of his tastings in the valley that people can share?

He is here as we speak, but don’t know where.

2013 for me is better than 2012. Each had large yields but most winemakers did a better job with saignees in 2013, thus there is generally more concentration. The 2012 reminds me a bit more of 2001 and the 2013 a bit more of 2002, although 2013 has more tannin than 2002 did.

I have not bottled my 2013 yet because I want to give it more time in barrel to smooth out the tannins, which for me, are very large.

I first said that 2013 would probably be the greatest vintage in Napa history way back just a few months after the grapes were picked, and I think that still holds true. There will be so many great wines you can just throw a dart.

2014 is another borderline-excellent year that reminds me a bit of 2005. More fruit forward and less tannic than 2013, or even 2012. I think the vintage is very good, bordering on excellent but the final verdict is not quite in yet.

2015 so far… hard to tell. The grapes are tiny and yields are low and both bode for potential greatness. But El Nino is brewing and I worry that once rain starts, it is simply going to keep raining and raining. It is the earliest harvest I have yet seen. Most Pinot I know has been picked already, but almost all the Cab still hangs on the vine. I suspect starting Sept 1, you will see it coming off in chunks and almost all of it will be off by Oct 5.

I am looking forward to RP’s reviews at the end of the year.

Thanks for your thoughts.

+1

Parker Tweeted about 2013 Materium
https://twitter.com/RobertMParkerJr