Pairing advice for steak and eggs on Super Bowl Monday

Moonshine

Funnily enough I’ve got a Mason jar of North Carolina’s finest over here as well as some Black Beards Rum my great uncle and I made a couple summers ago when I went to visit before he passed. That said I’d like to remember the game, so I think I’ll leave the shine for another time!

Thx! …and Dr. Evil thought sharks with freakin’ lasers on their heads were bada$$…what about sharks with rocket launchin’ raptors on their back?

Steak is the main flavor. The wine doesn’t have to go with every accompaniment (e.g. you can have steak with broccoli and potatoes and drink a cabernet - the cabernet doesn’t have to be match for broccoli and the potatoes on a standalone basis to still be the right pairing). I don’t think you need to make a different wine plan for the eggs, and those go with anything anyways.

Another vote for Cru Beaujolais.

TiVo the game, shut your phones off, don’t watch any Television or listen to any radios, don’t answer the front door for anybody and wait until 6pm. Open the best Shiraz you have and cook the biggest steak you can find. You’re having a party!

:slight_smile:

Slightly chilled Beaujolais sounds spot on to me for a Superbowl morning with t-bone and eggs.

I say put a little truffle with the egg and go with Barolo or Barbaresco…something with high acid that can handle the steak and would be perfect with some truffle eggs!

Boom. This.

Lame. Watch it live.

In Switzerland we are hosting a midnight madness party (kickoff is 12:30am) for 50+ folks.

Drinks will be Sam Adams (best I can do here in Bern) and a great assortment of Washington wine.

Same thing I pull out on the 4th of July. Ridge Geyserville

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I’m heading out in a little over an hour to do some bottle shopping, I’ll post the results later today.

Lame. Watch it live.

I can’t help but agree. Too many times I’ve had game results spoiled due to social media, friends, even the Australian news in the case of the Super Bowl. It’s always better to watch it unfold live in my opinion. Eric, I hope you have an NFL Gamepass. If not, have a look, for the expat NFL lover there’s nothing better. Condensed games are my equivalent of manna from heaven. Conversely Australians attempting to discuss controversial calls over their halftime “show” on the domestic feed is an exercise in anger management and self restraint. I suspect Australians in the US would feel the same way if I got contracted to commentate the AFL Grand Final or the Ashes.

Yup, I have been using Game Pass all season. Totally awesome. I can’t watch the condensed version though. It makes me seasick.

Try Craig Claiborne’s blender Hollandaise sauce. Google it.

Hollandaise does indeed work really well with BOTH steak and eggs. You have 16 hours to tipoff. Time to shop and practice!

I can’t watch the condensed version though. It makes me seasick.

You’re in good company, about half of my NFL watching friends can’t stomach condensed mode either. My only issue is that I have to watch it alone. If someone watches with me and we feel like discussing a play the game has to stop otherwise you miss the next five plays.

Try Craig Claiborne’s blender Hollandaise sauce.

Thanks for the recommendation Nancy, I’ll give that a crack!

So I just got back from the bottle shop. The downside is that they had zero Cru Beaujolias. Given my parents are out here from the states meeting my 7 month old I didn’t really have the time to run around town and try to source any from other retailers. The upside is that the shop was having a 30% off sale on all aged reds from 2004 and before. Given that offer I took a punt and grabbed these two bottles.

1996 J. Confuron-Cotetidot Bourgogne
1999 Domaine Bruno Clair Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode

Given I’ll need them ready to go early in the morning I suspect I’ll give them a quick double decant tonight before crawling into bed and then pulling the cork and setting them on the counter to warm as soon as I wake. That said I’m no expert so any advice would be appreciated.

Nice!
So does Bernaise and I prefer it with steak.

Tipoff? Really? Speaking of lame… neener

Whoops…