Orange County, CA

It’s always been that way that I know of. We go there fairly regularly.

An old friend is coming back home for the holidays and has set up a dinner with some of his pre-divorce couples/friends at Maggiano’s (at South Coast Plaza). I know this isn’t on a par with Anontelli (across the street) but it should be fun if done family style and with a lot of wine. So… anyone know the corkage policy at Maggiano’s. Their site doesn’t show a wine list or mention corkage, at least not that I could see. I’ll call too, but was just feeling lazy tonight.

$15

Memphis on Bristol now has free corkage 7 days a weeek! [dance-clap.gif]

J

Black Sheep Bistro is closed?

I was going to try them out and their website indicates they closed 12/30/2010.

Park Avenue in Stanton no longer permits customers to bring their own wine. They site “insurance liability issues” as the reason, which I personally think is pretty dubious. [swearing.gif]

Just got off the phone with Studio at the Montage. Corkage is now $25 with a 4 bottle limit.

Manpuku in Costa Mesa is $10/bottle. No limit. Japanese BBQ, very tasty. Similar to Anjin, also in Costa Mesa. But, Manpuku takes reservations, while Anjin does not.

Joe - is Manpuku the one beside the Residence Inn on Baker?

That’s the one. In a little strip mall with not enough parking. Good food. Hot as hell if you sit close to one of the charcoal stoves. They need to turn up the A/C. Had the Kobe beef combo…delicious. If I had to choose between Anjin and Manpuku purely on food, I would choose Anjin cuz the dipping sauces are better there, but waiting for a table…that sucks, no thank you. I don’t think lots of people bring wine, cuz the waitress had no idea how to use her waiter’s friend. After watching her struggle for a couple minutes, I offered to open the bottles for her and she gladly accepted. Polished off a 07 DuMol Aidan, 07 Denner syrah, and 04 RM cab. Dumol and Denner were OK, but the RM is in a great place right now. I haven’t had a Cab in awhile, but this was stunning. Wish I had more, but last bottle.

WineWorks for Everyone - $30 corkage for wine brought in, $23 corkage for wine bought in the (attached) store

Darren and Jean (the owners) should be ashamed of themselves. They used to waive corkage if you opened a wine purchased in the store.

Todd, are you still going? I havent heard of this place, is it any good? After first reading the owners response to you I was aggravated but since realizing they are a wineshop/wine bar I can understand how they would frown upon bringing your own wine in since they are attempting to “teach” the masses about wine.

Their pricing didnt seem too out of hand on their online wine list, although a little limited.

Charlie Palmer is now $25 per bottle, but waived with wine purchase.

Take your date there for a 3 oz glass of wine then head to dinner elsewhere. Oh and dont forget to fill out a form and drop it in the complaint box!

The Wine Gallery in Corona Del Mar has a similarly silly policy as the one you guys are describing. You can buy a bottle in their shop which they will charge you $15-25(I forget the exact number) to open not 10 feet away from where you picked it up. We gave the owner an earful about it but I’m not sure you can talk endgame to people looking at the monthly bottom line. I wish 3rd Corner in SD would open up shop up here to show folks how its done.

The only people drinking only wine in the wine bar section of the store are ordering it by the glass. Everyone who buys a bottle there also buys food. The last time I was at WineWorks we purchased 2 bottles of Pinot (Anthill Farms) and had about 4 plates of appetizers. We also gave Darren a nice tip. I think they more than covered their costs.

Had dinner (and wine) there last night, and, no joke, it was some of the best food I’ve had in Orange County. Everybody’s dish (rack of lamb, scallops, pork chop and seared ahi) was fantastic - even the sides. Really eclectic and interesting wine selection, not the ‘usual suspects’, but still I couldn’t get myself to buy a $19 Mount Eden Edna Valley Chardonnay then pay $23 for them to open it, so we bought off the bottle list, and had a couple good bottles that were paired well. I will definitely be back, if JUST for the food.

Good to hear about the food. So is this list the restaurant list. http://www.wineworksforeveryone.com/wine.php Is there another wine list? Wouldn’t want to pay those prices for supermarket wine with no option to bring my own wine. A few interesting things but still generally a mark up I would not want to pay. I just can’t and wont support a place with this type of attitude. Not trying to slam them, its just not my personal bag. And I’m poor [cry.gif]

J

Totally different list than what was there. They said they change it every 2 weeks or so…food is REALLY good, Jason.