Opinions on Lucien le Moine?

His wines are over-priced here ( in Quebec, Canada )…and they are not my cup of tea [bow.gif]

I don’t know whether it makes sense to compare the 98 Truchot to a bunch of young Le Moines. FWIW, when tasted double blind, those that display different flavor profiles always do well. I am doubting that the Truchot was WOTN.

Current very interesting thread on Vinous, with Mounir participating and explaining his approach.

does he acknowledge his premox problem with whites?

Hasn’t been broached yet. mostly a red thread so far. he’s one of the very few winemakers who contributes so perhaps everyone is being polite.

No, it doesn´t make much sense (and moreover LeMoine is much easier available for most of us than Truchot …).

However, the biggest difference might have been, the 98 Truchot is much closer to maturity … and most (red) LeMoine wines are still youthful !

1 Like

Alan , he does not which is really making me angry . His 2005 whites for example show premox , there is no doubt about it . But some of his whites are deep in color and some people conclude too quickly that it is premox while it is not .
His whites are all over the place , so it is always a gamble ( just like the wines from Leroy negoce ).
I am in Kevin’s camp : drink them sooner than later and decant them .

I have just tried a few of the wines…but as a contrarian they could have easily come from the Russian River with the prominent oak treatment. Not that this is a slam, but if you are looking for elegant and restrained, as opposed to exuberant pinot fruit, you might want to proceed cautiously. Tasted a flight of new/old world Pinot wines and this was guessed by me as a well made Cali wine. Surprised the oak intolerant have not jumped in on this thread.

i was going to post the same thing but i have not had enough to say for certain. i will probably try a few more bottles in the future especially since sometimes the prices can be rather attractive but i found no trace of burgundian character in a 2011 suchots i drank this past winter.

Picked up one of these today. Would LOVE any additional notes you could share around tasting.

Cheers!

The 2002 Bourgogne Rouge was a really good wine and very reasonably priced back in the day. Drank my case up a long time ago.

I had (and still have) a decent amount of his 2004 and 2005 vintages. The few 2004s I have had have actually been quite enjoyable. However, in the past week we opened a 2005 Volnay Clos des Chenes and it either needs many, many years to turn into something or it is simply an over-extracted, fruit forward, heavily oaked Pinot Noir. It wasn’t bad but it idled on the table with not many people coming back to it. At the end of the night it was really no different than at the beginning.

Have not seen them in years though so if there was a change in approach I do not know about it.

Anyone tried his Bourgogne line from 19/20? Wanna pick some up but want to get someone’s experience on them… my one past experience was it was borderline over-modern

1 Like

ouch.

1 Like

To be fair, I’ve since enjoyed quite a few of his White Burgundies. They are very singular though, often quite dark and leesy, needing plenty of air.

His CDP Blanc remains brilliant and his red CDP wines are also spectacular.

1 Like