One of the best champagnes I`ve ever had!

I had the '00 a few times shortly after it was released. There was something about it that turned me off, sort of a weird burnt or metallic flavor. May be time to revisit. I also prefer the '95 to the '96. While the '02 has been drinking fine since release, I think in the long-term the '04 will be the better wine and may mimic the '95. IMO, the '04 Comtes is the best value Tete de Cuvée currently in the market, followed by the '95 Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires

Ive been thinking about your comment since your post as I too enjoy more mature champagne and am just now returning to some 80s and early 90s to discover where they are relative to evolution. Having said that, I took the 00 CdC on this night since it was handy and I have quite a few, so this was really a sampling for future note and lo and behold the pleasure factor far outweighed the wait until ready considerations although I`ll certainly reserve some for years later.

Hopefully, as some have commented here, this was not a bottle variation from the norm. In a blind format, Id be pretty challenged to say this was a youngster in puberty stage as many other 00s and younger are.

I’ve enormously enjoyed this a couple times in the last year.
Some more on order from Premier Cru, which means I’ll enjoy more someday :slight_smile:

Sounds like a wonderful evening. Thanks for sharing!!!

00 Taittinger Comtes…My Anniversary Wine. I started out with 27 bottles. I have 24 left. The first three have been magnificent. I love Taittinger CdC. Especially the 95 and 00. Have not yet tried the 02 or 04. The 05 was nice – not quite at the level of the 95, 96 or 00, but still a very nice bottle of Champagne. I am hoping the 06 lives up to Galloni’s notes and score as I bought a lot of that wine as well.

I also have some from PC coming in and it`s been almost 2 years since paying for it. Buying from them almost insures some aging in the wines before even receiving them. If those are as good as the one I had, we made a good purchase even with the wait.

David, I like your choice for celebrating special occasions. You did pretty good with the number of bottles too. I also like the 02 and 04 as well as 05, but different animals The 02 was definitely my fav of those 3 vintages. Im hoping Gallonis palate is close to mine as he`s quite complimentary for a lot of wines I buy before knowing his reviews.

Mea cupla. I got lazy - Taittinger. It appears we have a different perspective on “for the money” as well but I will admit not having tasted the thousands of Champagnes on the market. I tend to go back to the ones I like such as Taittinger, Egly-Ouriet, and Bollinger. And for an inexpensive NV, I like the NV Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut Yellow Label.

We had the 2002 in March. Perhaps not one of the best champagnes I have ever had, but still outstanding. every bottle of the Comtes I have had is excellent. The only problem is that when we serve it blind, the shape of the bottle gives it away.

When it comes to Taittinger’s Comtes de Champagne, it has earned a one name title - ‘Comtes’ and when you can get it for less than $100, gobble it up by the case. Even at full retail which is $125-$150 (in most places), it is a bargain.

As for the rest of the Taittinger range, it is really singing right now - they are doing a great, great job across the board; even the sweeter styled wines are outstanding.

@Blake - great note. You inspired me to open a bottle last night and while not a 2000, it was a 2004 Comtes BdB which I love. A bit lighter and fresher than the 2000, but still a great one in my books. I love every vintage of this wine (in both BdB and Rose).

Brad, I was hoping youd get on here as I know you know and could suggest more which is exactly what you did. Interestingly, at least to me Ive not opened any of the vintage rose for many vintages- just waiting. Only bc I have a fair amount of the 00 CDC did I even venture there and the 02, 04 and 05 are still laying down and in the case of those ordered through PC, still in the wait to make it to the cellar.

We tend to call it “CdC” rather than “Comtes,” and I’ve definitely heard people say, “Pass the Taitt” at wine dinners. Great wine every vintage.

Scott,

CdC is dangerous to use with Comtes. I actually think Vilmart’s Coeur de Cuvee was/is more widely known as CdC. I know it wasn’t first, but CdC seems to have more strongly attached to Vilmart .