Older Burgundy Reviews

Don’t forget (our own) Bill Nanson’s Burgundy report and also Steen Ohman’s Winehog. Both discuss older vintages and often verticals. Also, there are some fb Burgundy groups where people often past on older (and sometimes now stratospherically expensive) Burgs. Much of this needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but some buried nuggets to be found as well.

John Kapon.

I was really surprised when Bill left Chevillon out of his book completely. Don’t think he has Hubert Lignier or Domaine Trapet in there either. He does mention several producers I was unaware of though.

[rofl.gif]

I think it’s “Jon”…

Of course, in fairness to him, he had Allen “Burghound” Meadows advising him on most issues…

I haven’t studied the book in depth, Craig,

In fact don’t own it. I mainly consult the site online when looking for a producer with whom I am unfamiliar. Doing this, I have, of course, found producers whom I never heard of before, as I do with other sites. In my experience, I have found Coates’ book has the deepest coverage, and I have come to trust his judgement, though I haven’t yet coughed up the $90 for Jasper Morris’ more recent outing, so I can’t compare.

IMO, Morris’ book is the best one ever written on the subject…

All others suffer by comparison…though that doesn’t make them unworthy of buying/reading.

I like how Coates pulls no punches in describing each winery and where they’re at in terms of maximizing their potential or resting on their laurels. Only knock is most of his books are not kind of old. But, a great read.

On CT, is there an easy way to follow the tasting notes posted by certain people, other than doing a search for each person separately and checking to see what notes they have posted recently?
I have added a few posters (mentioned in this thread) as a “fan” of them, but not sure where to go from there…so that I could conveniently check just their posts in the same way I come to the WB boards and check recent threads.
Thanks

Not, that I know of. Eric often responds to these inquiries. I just go to my buddies and click on names. If, guys aren’t too secretive I also check to see what their cellar composition is and what they’re buying lately too. See what Burg producers they own the most of. My CT handle is chablis28. Do you share yours?

Ha! I had to go there and look it up. It is rmgrenley. But I have not posted there, nor keep my wine cellar inventory there…a real newbie. But have used it for some time to search Gilman and search tasting notes on various wines.

Its a great tool. It took me a couple years of procrastinating but once I got on I never looked back. The biggest plus is knowing exactly what I have by vintage so I don’t drink something too soon or too late. Or, buy it again by accident. I don’t have the hugest cellar at 975 btls but I was losing track of things till CT.

also here;

And, while on the subject, which professional reviewers and which posters on CellarTracker do you think do best with Oregon Pinot Noir and California Pinot Noir…particularly with a more “Burgundian” take on the varietal, by which I mean those whose tastes run to Burgundy and who would be more taken by domestic wines of elegance and balance and good acidity and reasonable alcohol levels?