Oil and Popcorn Recommendation for Whirley Pop

Its really good.

Just found some, heading out of the country, but will try it in a couple weeks!
image.jpeg

Clarified butter all the way. Coconut oil has a pronounced taste for me and the kids.

The key is good popcorn. We can get some really good stuff at the farmer’s markets. Orville R. tastes like chewy cardboard.

I agree with Bill on the coconut oil tried it but didn’t enjoy… I much prefer a neutral oil like Canola using as little as possible. Then I use pickling salt as it is fine but not too fine like the popcorn salt you can buy.

George

Safe travels and hope the ghee works for you!!!

Not sure how u can burn popcorrn if you use a Whirley Pot and follow the instructions . If cooking popcorn on the stovetop in a regular pot, then I can see how you can.

Post #13 relates directly to post #12.

I just made 2 batches for the family. . Whirley popper, a bit of coconut oil, a decent amount of ghee, and Orville Redenbacher. Yum!! As fall approaches and we are at a farm stand, apple picking, etc. I will pick up some specialty popcorn for some taste tests. Happy munching!!

Clarified butter rules for popping corn. Avocado oil is alright as well…you want something that gets really hot without scorching. Most oils will smoke at popping temps.
To finish the popcorn, use clarified butter, NOT melted whole butter. Clarified butter had no water, whereas the water in whole butter will make the popcorn soggy.
By all means, do not pay money for ghee. Clarify regular butter. Easy.
I melt the butter, make sure it gets to 260F (all the water long gone), strain through a coffee filter. Crystal clear every time, same price as plain old butter.

It is easier to buy the $11 Ghee at Trader Joe.

Chris,
We have a Whirley Pop. This place is the absolute best I have found to buy great quality pop corn.

Any recommendations on varieties??

Get the sampler with the whirly pop. It is a lot of fun to try them all.

Every try the ghee?

Hey Bruce, yes - I am a fan!! It’s my new way of making popcorn! Thanks for the recommendation!

I added some pink Himalaya salt and a few spritzes of truffle oil. Yum !!! Using a little coconut oil and mostly gheee these days. Still using Orville Redenbacher .