Offline Etiquette Question

god i hate you guys so much. Chinamen holding me down. Stop ganging up on the taiwanese.

I vote to never invite them again. Sorry Zhi and Juyuan, neither of you are coming to my offlines anymore neener

Reminds me of a thread some time ago . . .

Wine Offline Best Practices - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rocky Mountain?
Rocket Motor?
Rhesus Monkey?
Remote Multiplexer?
Resident Mixologist?
Russian Mafia?

Rivers Marie…
http://www.riversmarie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, Serge wasn’t the offender. [wink.gif]

[quote=“Charlie Fu”
I vote to never invite them again. Sorry Zhi and Juyuan, neither of you are coming to my offlines anymore neener[/quote]

IMPROMPTU BERSERKFEST 5.5 Burgundy/Bordeaux /w Chinese Food 12/11 TASTING NOTES PICS ADDED - Event Planner - Online or Offline - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fu, you only provide corked wines for me anyways. Have you picked up your new doggy yet???

I have a 1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle I paid 39.95 for back in the day. Would bringing that to an offline where there are $200-$500 bottles make me and outcast?

I don’t think juyuan was born in 1989. I’m sure he means current value.

Why even bring it up?

I mean…really, there are better things to worry about than playing the “My wine’s bigger than yours!” game. Perhaps the rubrics of the tasting we’re not explained to him beforehand? Perhaps his 50 mites are better than all the hypocrite’s 500?
Would you only have the tasting in someone’s house if it was assessed for one million dollars? What if that was in 2007 dollars and not today’s value?

One of the best things about hanging out with other wine nerds is sharing wine with people who appreciate it. Wine dinners/tastings are a big part of the reason why I buy expensive wine. It’s a small price to pay for an “admission ticket” that allows you to taste some excellent wines.

Consider a “highly rated” '07 Napa cab tasting. It’s plausible that I’d bring a Spottswoode ($130), a friend would bring an Outpost True Vineyard ($85), and someone else would bring a Schrader ($265+?). If those prices sort-of/kind-of line up with what people can afford, would anyone be that upset?

That said, it’s helpful to have pre-defined parameters – e.g., “1990s cab, all currently available for $75-125.” But without such parameters, those who are young (like me) and/or with smaller wine budgets should be welcomed, so long as they’re enthusiastic and do their best to bring what they’re supposed to.

Wow…seriously?

James, James, James…is it about the wine? The price? Or the camaraderie? Is the person new to wine?

What about someone who brings a corked wine to a special birthday dinner at, say, the Duck House, and all the other wines are relatively expensive and tasty? neener

They have no control over bringing a corked wine (unless opened up before hand, yet still bringing it or not bringing something to replace it)…versus having the ability to not bring a specific bottle all together.

I’m with John … in fact, maybe y’all wanna’ wait for him in the parking lot and help him over to the door so as to make yer point … if ya’ know what I mean.

Of course, y’all should be careful as it might be someone like me who does this regularly in certain wine circles for no other reason than the fact is that right behind a night of top flight wines – and we all know the more expensive, the better – is a night of kickin’ namby pambie wine geek ass! [cheers.gif]

Isn’t this last statement only true if you win the duel in Step 2? [pillow-fight.gif]

he’s just giving juyuan trouble. Juyuan brought a corked btl to my birthday dinner and we’ve been giving him crap since then.

Indeed!!!

Ken, clearly if the scoundrel wins the initial duel the group’s late Champion must have second and thirds to stand in against the rogue.

As he deserves…he should have felt the TCA in the bottle buying it…

I thought it was good.